Re: Portland, Vic: North Shore Challenge 2019

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Great pics
Awesome report

Reeling

Post by Reeling » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks all.

Hopefully I'll be able to get down there in 2wks time if the weather plays ball. the drive down there and back is more of a killer than the paddle when you're there to be honest. Hopefully I'll be able to find them again and get some more great footage with a kingie in the hatch next time.

I'll be also posting all of my stuff on my instagram and FB page so feel free to follow :)
Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish

Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Great report, pictures and videos awesome. Just shows you don't need to have a 10 metre boat with giant twin motors to catch good fish. Better to think about your fishing and observe what's going on around you. I fish Portland, love it, the Anchorage always seems to attract balls of bait fish and sometimes nothing with them, but together with the North shore out in 30-50 metre depth, the fishing can be terrific.

Often catch tuna late in the day, just when you're starting to drift off mentally and wonder why you came at all! The scream of that game reel is just the best sound in the world. When I bought the reels, the salesman showed me the button to turn off the ratchet sound - eh?

Finding small skirted lures better than the traditional big lures.

Early morning or late afternoon seem to be the best time for catching fish trolling. The rest of the day, I'm just driving round in big circles deluding myself!

Keep up the posts!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Great report, bad luck on the kings

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Reeling wrote:Thanks all.

Hopefully I'll be able to get down there in 2wks time if the weather plays ball. the drive down there and back is more of a killer than the paddle when you're there to be honest. Hopefully I'll be able to find them again and get some more great footage with a kingie in the hatch next time.

I'll be also posting all of my stuff on my instagram and FB page so feel free to follow :)
Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
All the best in a couple of weeks if you do end up making it back down there mate!
Hope this time you end up with a nice one :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Reeling wrote: NSC '19 - Used and abused by Kingfish and teased by Tuna

O Portland…where do I begin.
Wow, Reeling, I now understand what you meant by "where do I begin". What an awesome report, for an awesome fishing , , , , oups, for an awesome and frustrating fishing adventure. I give you Kudos for your efforts. Only words I can say are , , , , if you cast they shall come , , , , oh, and take the lure and surrender to your landing net.

And being teased by Tina, join my club, story of my life , , , , I had better luck with Carol :-D

DougieK wrote: Kingfish are by far the most frustrating and most exciting fish to target in VIC. I've had similar experiences recently off assorted land based spots. Schools of them just completely disinterested in bait and headbutting lures but not eating them. When you do finally hook up they find a way to get away. It's all worth it when you finally land one.

Great report and great footage mate.
They are frustrating here in SA too. They aren't called Hoodlums for noth'n.

Cheers, Bugatti

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:great report, I have 2 water wolf camera's and haven't used them yet
send them over to me ill make good use of it :-D
bcf braeside have them on clearance $99 have heaps

Reeling

Post by Reeling » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks again all. Hopefully a couple more weeks will see a little increase in water temp and get them a little more fired up for the bite.

I'll keep you guys informed whether hook up or not and either way I hope to get some more underwater footage

Tight lines all

PPriems

Post by PPriems » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 pm

So where do you put caught fish in the kayak?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 pm

PPriems wrote:So where do you put caught fish in the kayak?
in the fish box - theres about enough room to fit a kingy of at least 5 foot
on a purpose built fishing ski - not the Anaconda pool toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag99cCRTVj0

watch from about the 8 min mark - these guys pulled a 125 cm fish ( 15 kg ) and a 1.5 meter ( 27 kg ) fish on that trip
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”