Freezing Marysville

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Freezing Marysville

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Nice work guys!
Great effort in those freezing conditions!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:14 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 pm
.........................................................................................
All needed is one curious fish to make a quick decision to take any lures.
Then you need to hold onto the fish! This is where the cost of the lure may come into play! Issues with hooks on cheap lures can be easily solved by upgrading the hooks. I used to fish a lot with a mate. We would both use Rapalas but he bought some cheap minnow lure from BigW I think. Snagged it up on a structure in the channel and in the process of trying to retrieve it...the eye broke out of the lure as opposed to breaking the line! It is worth trying all avenues of lures but you do have to be a bit wary.
cheers
Team Lure Bender
Yes, I must admit there are certain qualities need to be considered.
Personally, depends on what kind of fishing I'd do.
For example, I don't mind using kmart or two dollar shop hooks for small breams/pinkies/mullet, just for fun. But when it comes to chase for big red, mulloway, etc, I'd use something more reliable like black magic or owner hooks.
Same applies to lures I guess. Some decent lures come with cheap trebble hooks. Replacing them with good quality owner hooks can make a difference.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Seb85 wrote:
mazman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Nice work seb, I find you comment on lures interesting. Especially late and early season with high water levels and fish that are a bit less active I find lure choice matters a lot more as well as cast accuracy. Not saying that cheap lures won't catch fish but lures with certain actions certainly outperform the rest when this is the case
Thanks mazman.

Colour, action and accuracy definitely important factors in any conditions I'd say.
Slow clear water provides clarity and time to inspect the lures, this is when I think action, size, colour, etc matter most. But I think it's less in fast dirty'ish water as the fish have little time to make a decision to take or not. All needed is one curious fish to make a quick decision to take any lures.
I'm basing this on my experience fishing smaller rivers and creeks for the past few seasons ,worth noting none of the places I fish have major issues with high water temp in summer and that will change this. On the shoulders of the season the water is really cold and when this happens the trout slow down a bit and also tuck in tighter to structure or slow pockets, fish are less inclined to chase lures out into the main current.
As against in late spring-early autumn where water temps are up a bit higher the trout are more active and happy to chase down a lure, even when the water is low and clear you can still use a really fast retrieve to elicit that reaction bite if need be it's also worth keeping in mind that as the water warms up trout are less likely to sit in those slower pools anyway.

Personally I still cycle through the same lures all season but how and where I fish them changes throughout the season to account for changes in water temp and level and then colour comes into play based on water clarity/colour (tannins etc.) although I believe that action and profile is generally more important than colour for trout in these environments
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:37 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:19 pm
Seb85 wrote:
mazman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Nice work seb, I find you comment on lures interesting. Especially late and early season with high water levels and fish that are a bit less active I find lure choice matters a lot more as well as cast accuracy. Not saying that cheap lures won't catch fish but lures with certain actions certainly outperform the rest when this is the case
Thanks mazman.

Colour, action and accuracy definitely important factors in any conditions I'd say.
Slow clear water provides clarity and time to inspect the lures, this is when I think action, size, colour, etc matter most. But I think it's less in fast dirty'ish water as the fish have little time to make a decision to take or not. All needed is one curious fish to make a quick decision to take any lures.
I'm basing this on my experience fishing smaller rivers and creeks for the past few seasons ,worth noting none of the places I fish have major issues with high water temp in summer and that will change this. On the shoulders of the season the water is really cold and when this happens the trout slow down a bit and also tuck in tighter to structure or slow pockets, fish are less inclined to chase lures out into the main current.
As against in late spring-early autumn where water temps are up a bit higher the trout are more active and happy to chase down a lure, even when the water is low and clear you can still use a really fast retrieve to elicit that reaction bite if need be it's also worth keeping in mind that as the water warms up trout are less likely to sit in those slower pools anyway.

Personally I still cycle through the same lures all season but how and where I fish them changes throughout the season to account for changes in water temp and level and then colour comes into play based on water clarity/colour (tannins etc.) although I believe that action and profile is generally more important than colour for trout in these environments
Thanks for sharing mazman, good info.

When adding water temperature into consideration then few variables come in play.

One of the book I read, if not mistaken, trout ideal temperature is 10-14 degrees. In the middle of summer, the fast running water and tumbling rapid provide cooler temperature and more oxygen, while the slow/still water generally warmer is more ideal during cooler months. In this ideal condition, generally they're aggressive and feeding, any moving objects will get eaten or attacked.

Although, like humans, even in not ideal temperature and condition, they have to eat, but won't give much 'window' of opportunities.
On a very cold winter day, I would go out to buy a coffee and straight back in where it's warm with heater on; and on super hot day in summer I would go out to buy cold drinks and back into the house with aircon.
Same with trouts, they sit in their ideal location but eventually they come out to eat, and hopefully it's the lure we cast and tempt them to come out and eat. This is when action, colours, etc of the lures matters most.

It's about the ideal condition that we angler have to figure out how to tempt/fool them.

I'm liking this discussion :thumbsup: sharing info, theories, etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Being a self-admitted lure tightass, i generally buy cheap lures to save money for other life things and i do actually fish better by being more confident with casting into snags - as i know i can lose a $2.56 lure (photo above) 6 times in a day before it would cost me one regular $15 lure.

For trout cheapies - my lure price limit is $5. Name brand sale items are my preference to pick up lures - but i do utilise AliExpress and found some lures that seemed good enough to do the job. At times you do see brand name models there but with a different paint job and if needed ill change the hardware.

Generally speaking and assuming you are fishing with the same confidence/accuracy/other factors - i don't think the difference between the standard action of a good cheapie vs. most brand name stuff makes too much of a difference to trout, at least not a difference thats worth 6x more $$$ - nor would they guaranteed a 6x hit/catch rate.

There'd be exceptions to the rule of course and different lure types will have a different margin of effectiveness between the cheap vs. expensive - such as spinners, spoons, topwater etc. But yeah, i dont fish expensive lures properly for fear of losing them, so taking a potential quality of lure hit is probably negated cos i fish the cheap ones stronger.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:04 am

It's cold cold cold
It's snow snow snow
But we fish fish fish

You guys are crazy crazy crazy , , , , do you know, I got cold just reading your report. Love the dedication guys and great that it was a good day for you as well, seems a bit was learnt too :thumbsup:

We don't get snow here in SA, so I envy you guys , , , , I would love to have snow here , , , , so I can avoid it :-D

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Being a self-admitted lure tightass, i generally buy cheap lures to save money for other life things and i do actually fish better by being more confident with casting into snags - as i know i can lose a $2.56 lure (photo above) 6 times in a day before it would cost me one regular $15 lure.
Chris, I agree, a range of tackle doesn't go astray , , , , and the way that "cost effective" tackle gives us bravado, risks are taken and in some cases pay off well.

On the cold , , , , Chris, if you need a phone call to get you out of snow fishing with Seb , , , , just let me know

Seb cold.PNG

Cheers Brrrrrrrrgatti

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”