Yarra In Eltham

Aussie_moose

Re: Yarra In Eltham

Post by Aussie_moose » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 am

I'm going to keep using this thread instead of creating another one.

Sorry for not replying Fisherman2012 I didn't see your post until now..

Well I went down to the Yarra on Saturday the 4th and finally caught something!!!!
On my first cast I nailed a really small macquarie perch it was only about the size of my hand (maybe 15-20cm) but it was my first fish out of the Yarra, my first native, and first fish for 2014 you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. :grin:
It was caught on a worm on a running sinker rig.
I have a photo but it is not very good and you can barely see the fish

I also hooked a big carp but it was on my light gear, and it started heading straight for some snags so i tightened my drag and it busted my line :doh1:

Other people I was was with got a fair few good nibbles but no other hookups.

Some of you out there might find it strange/amusing that i got such a kick outta such a small fish but it made my day

Cory
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank like an idiot, I excel in the latter!!!

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 am

definitely going to try my luck with more fresh water fishing this year and try to nail a cod, never caught one before so would be great fun
Cheers Nick

Ant2014

Post by Ant2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 am

trout-hunter wrote:Hey mate try cheese... You will get good size cod from warrendyte all the way through eltham. Drive up reynolds rd to the very end. Theres a fire access gate then a loooong steep dirt rd to walk down about 1km the yarra is big and deep and big cod live in there. I use motzarilla cheese, its the only cheese fish can digest other cheeses can catch you cod but also makes them a bit crook..
Hey, didn't know there was an Eltham thread but good fishing to be had at 6 Griffith Park Road Eltham in Griffith Park.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 am

trout-hunter wrote:We are strictly catch and release with the cod in the yarra because iv heard they dont breed in there. fun to catch though
Cod in the yarra are an introduced species. If they do not breed in the yarra, then some one must be introducing them to the water way.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:24 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
trout-hunter wrote:We are strictly catch and release with the cod in the yarra because iv heard they dont breed in there. fun to catch though
Cod in the yarra are an introduced species. If they do not breed in the yarra, then some one must be introducing them to the water way.
I have done a google search and found this which is from 1862 and also mentions other species which were introduced as well. If only they knew the damage that is still going on today from their actions over 150 years ago. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 1--0-0-0--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 pm

:good:
Last edited by nickfish on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I like the phrase 'great cause of acclimatisation'.

Aussie_moose

Post by Aussie_moose » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm

So I went down to the river again today after work.

Fished from 7pm till 9 pm. I pulled in 2 Macquarie Perch one 22cm and the other 24cm both went back in.
I also hooked onto something bigger 3 times but couldn't land it, the first 2 time is ran me straight into snags and I couldn't get out, after that I tightened my drag right up, cast in the same spot and bang on again, fought it for a couple of minutes but then it got off. No idea what it was because it never came to the surface but probably just a carp.

I still had a great time and happy with the two little ones I got to the bank.

Then to top my night of my Flurocarbon from SFP was waiting for me at home. Id just like to give a shout out to Cam and Amanda both times I have ordered from them my item has come within 2 days and once you have made a purchase you are contacted straight away. Great customer service imo and to top it off the member discount is great. Thanks Heaps guys

Anyways to change things up a bit I think I will be heading to the nong on Sunday and try my luck at bream.
I've never really chased them before so should be a steep but fun learning curve.

Cheers
Cory
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank like an idiot, I excel in the latter!!!

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am

Thanks heaps for the feedback mate,

Cam and I really appreciate it.

Trust me, you are going to LOVE that leader. Absolutely everyone does. Knots really really well and tough as nails.

All the best with the next session :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Amanda

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 am

Boonanza wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
I have done a google search and found this which is from 1862 and also mentions other species which were introduced as well. If only they knew the damage that is still going on today from their actions over 150 years ago. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 1--0-0-0--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Steve
Sounds like they really knew what they were doing :down:
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”