Malsbury and Surrounds

Dick83

Malsbury and Surrounds

Post by Dick83 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 am

G'day all thinking about heading up Malmsbury way to hit up the resivours and creeks in the area only thinking about throwing some lures around and only if the recent fires haven't affected area. Also wouldn't mind some tips if any one can help me they would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers Dicky.
2014/15 Species Comp. 0cm

Gillo
Location: Main Ridge, Victoria (on the Mornington penninsula)

Re: Malsbury and Surrounds

Post by Gillo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:27 am

Hi ****,

Haven't fished the area for a few years but I've had some success in the past. I've taken some large reddies on unweighted yabbies from the shore opposite the car park at Malmsbury. If you can get there before day break I've seen 100s of risining trout along the dam wall, harder to match there food source as their often taking midges so unless your a fly fisherman that can be very tough. However I've caught them both on fly and mud eyes under a bubble float.

Cheers,
Ben

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Gday mate!
As of 23/12/14, water levels were :
Malmsbury at 50%
Lauriston at 76%
Coliban at 86%
My advice would be to try a few different methods to see if you can find something that works. I haven't fished the lakes regularly enough recently though, so not very sure what's going on.
I'm half thinking of drowning a few yabs up at Lauriston or maybe Coliban this arvo to see if I can russle up a good reddie or 2. I've got a couple of new long coarse fishing rods that I want to try out, in order to get a bait close to the old creek bed. A theory I want to try. If I get bored of the bait fishing, a few bibbed minnows, vibes, and plastics will probably get a run as well. After the recent rain, and the barometer jump, things may be firing up there. Here's to hoping!!
Cheers
Last edited by Redhunter on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:10 pm

Gillo wrote:Hi d***,
This made my laugh.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Haven't fished the area for a few years but I've had some success in the past. I've taken some large reddies on unweighted yabbies from the shore opposite the car park at Malmsbury. If you can get there before day break I've seen 100s of risining trout along the dam wall, harder to match there food source as their often taking midges so unless your a fly fisherman that can be very tough. However I've caught them both on fly and mud eyes under a bubble float.

Cheers,
Ben
Gday Ben,
It's certainly a sight to see, at very first light. If only they were all trout! Unfortunately these 3 reservoirs are choccas with roach, and a majority of those rises belong to them. There are definitely trout amongst them though, and some good ones too. It's an awesome sight to see the massive browns smash through schools of these roach. Seeing 6-8in fish showering the surface trying to get away is really something special I reckon.
Cheers

Gillo

Post by Gillo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Redhunter wrote:

Cheers,
Ben
Gday Ben,
It's certainly a sight to see, at very first light. If only they were all trout! Unfortunately these 3 reservoirs are choccas with roach, and a majority of those rises belong to them. There are definitely trout amongst them though, and some good ones too. It's an awesome sight to see the massive browns smash through schools of these roach. Seeing 6-8in fish showering the surface trying to get away is really something special I reckon.
Cheers
That's interesting, I've never seen Roach there. I've certainly seen the big, big Browns smashing fish but I thought they must have been smelt. Good info, thanks.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 pm

DougieK wrote:
This made my laugh.
me 2
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Gday Ben,
It's certainly a sight to see, at very first light. If only they were all trout! Unfortunately these 3 reservoirs are choccas with roach, and a majority of those rises belong to them.
Cheers
Thats interesting, I've seen the same thing happen at Pykes Creek during the warmer months and I always assumed they were trout as well, must be roach though because I've caught a fair few out of there. It was getting frustrating fishing lures right where the fish were surfacing and never catching anything :lol:
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Gillo

Post by Gillo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:26 pm

TrevKing wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
Gday Ben,
It's certainly a sight to see, at very first light. If only they were all trout! Unfortunately these 3 reservoirs are choccas with roach, and a majority of those rises belong to them.
Cheers
Thats interesting, I've seen the same thing happen at Pykes Creek during the warmer months and I always assumed they were trout as well, must be roach though because I've caught a fair few out of there. It was getting frustrating fishing lures right where the fish were surfacing and never catching anything :lol:
I've also see that at Pykes creek. I've been thinking they were trout for years!

moeee

Post by moeee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:44 pm

DougieK wrote:
This made my laugh.
Made me laugh too when I noticed the O.P. took almost a year to get a response.
The O.P. location of Murchison is obviously an error.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”