Lures Or Bait?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Lures Or Bait?

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am

Myself I tend to bait fish more than lures

as I fish from the kayak I do tend to do a bit of trolling lures from one place to another as paddling is quite offen the right pase to work a hard body
I have used SPs but am not realy caught up in the craze
yes they work on some species realy well -- sliding a chunk of something on an 8/0 sounds like more fun to me
DougieK wrote:Although remembering it's not unusual to have 4 rods out each with two baits, as opposed to a single lure.
nafa wrote: You make an interesting point. I have found that once I use more than one rod my fishing usually suffers as a result. I think it is because you need your head on a swivel, your ears tuned for the right ratchet and whatever you do, do not attempt a toilet stop unless all the lines are out of the water! I guess it's a bit like Clint Eastwood said, " A man needs to know his limitations".
I tend to use 3 rods at a time on the kayak it just seams normal
and I use 2 if playing with SPs
one in the rod holder just draging along the bottom and one being worked - I have caught just as many Snapper on the one doing it's own thing as the one being worked
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:35 am

As I fish 99% out of a boat I normally have 3 rods with bait and 1 in my hand either sp hardbody or squid jig depending on where I am and what I am targeting. I have purchased some 3/4 oz blades to vertical jig for flathead whilst drifting offshore so many things to have a crack at.although you need a good crew off blokes to pass the time when towing lures for marlin hours of nothing then absolute mayhem. surface strikes are the best nothing better than seeing the fish take your lure

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 am

I fish probably 75% bait, 25% lures, but 99% of the fish I catch are on bait. I'll normally drown a couple of worms on one rod then walk the riverbank throwing lures with the other. I plan on getting more into lure fishing but i get really frustrated of cast after cast without so much a bump on the lure especially when I end up donating a couple to snags. I think once I get a few decent natives on the board with lures it'll be a bit easier.

The part that doesn't help is a majority of the time I'm fishing we throw baits out then sit around with a few cans and talk sh*t.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 am

I'm a river trout fisher and only bait fish early season when the rivers are running high and dirty, which I then only use garden worms in a back water.. The rest of the season I use metal blade spinners for 95% of the time and the other 5% I use CD-1, F-3, F-5 Rapalas. The one thing with using lures though, especially if you want a good catch rate is to get in the rivers and wade them. Work the river from one side to the other in a 180 degree pattern then move up around 4 metres and repeat. Work every piece of river too.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 am

95% bait soaker, only time i use lures / plastics are for squid and flatties while drifting and a sabuki rig to catch bait. However i do enjoy putting down a plastic when the snapper come in and use a 2 / 4 kg rod with a small spinning reel to have a bit of fun on the big buggers.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

In the last 18 months or so I've switched from predominantly bait to exclusively lures. When I first started I was satisfied fishing for pinkies, flatties etc off the metro piers. Then I progressed to whiting off the Westernport beaches, before turning my attention to gummies and big sharks. Once I'd mastered this, I started delving into the world of lures, beginning with squid and salmon (by far the two easiest species to target with lures). Once I felt I had this covered, I started chasing more elusive species on lure such as bream and estuary perch, which are much more challenging. Now I'm 100% hooked on lures and I don't think I will ever go back. For me it's the convenience - I always have a rod and a bag of lures in my car and whenever I get a spare couple of hours I can shoot off somewhere for a fish. And no bait mess is a huge plus (I don't miss the smell of pilchards under my finger nails that's for sure). So once I've got a fair grasp on bream and perch, I will attempt what I see as the pinnacle of Victorian landbased fishing - mulloway and bass on lure. But yeah I get a lot more satisfaction from catching a fish on a lure than on bait.

Or maybe I'm just a pretentious wanka

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:32 am

Depends on the type of fishing, target species and conditions. If I'm fishing with the kids then it is generally bait.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

I don't think we're wankas but we might come across that way now and again :) I know I sometimes sound like lures are the holy grail - but really whatever works - as long as we're all having fun who cares :)

My mate who I just got into breamin with lures a month or so ago caught a mulloway on lure a couple weeks ago. I'm still hurting from that.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Pretty much lures these days - like trying out different ones as well. Need the exercise so a bit of a walk is always in order.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Depends What I target, Reddies Usually Lures, Carp Bait, Cod and Yellas 50/50.
I do much prefer casting lures tho speacially on a nice day.

Return to “Fishing techniques”