Spin Fishing Rivers For Trout In Summer.

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Spin Fishing Rivers For Trout In Summer.

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:51 pm

This is a short article that i wrote earlier for a site here in Tassie, thought it may be of some help to those of you who like to have a fish for trout during Summer.
cheers
Adrian

'' SPIN FISHING RIVERS FOR TROUT IN SUMMER''

Well now with the warmer weather upon us it time to change a few tactics with fishing the rivers during the Summer months ahead. Lower water levels and warmer water temperatures is something that the trout don't like all that much. I have found the best water temperature for trout is between 11 deg C and 18 deg C above and below these temperatures and the fishing can become quite tough and even more so in Summer if the water temp reaches above 20deg then the trout tend to shut down.

The rods, reels and line that I use for river fishing for trout are as follows: The rods are all 1.8meter Diawa Procast L/Wt 1kg-3kg coupled up with small Okuma Vsytem 15a & 20a reels and 4lb clear mono line to a swivel and anti-kink, from there it's 400mm trace of 6lb mono with a snap swivel attached followed by a blade spinner on the snap swivel. An anti-kink to me is a must when using blade spinner as they stop line twist which occurs when spin fishing with blade spinners. I always fish as light as possible and the weight of my blade spinners are 1.5gms. These are a variety of Mepps Black Fury's, Aglia's and Bug spinners. The hard body lures are 2gms in weight and they are only 30mms long. These are Rapala F-3 in rainbow, brown and brook trout patterns plus I do have a few Ralala CD-1's in rainbow and brown trout pattern as well. When I use the hard body lures I take the anti-kink off. I have used these spinners and lures for quite a long time and these are the only two types that I use with plenty of success. I have been the Angling Club Champion for the past eight years in a row, so I know how good it gets when using light tackle that works for you. Like they say, when you're on a good thing ''Stick To It.''

The long slow flowing stretches of a river will rarely give up a fish unless you are on them at first light or very late in the afternoon when the water temperature is much cooler and the sun is off the water. Fast water sections always fish well during the warmer weather as there is more oxygen in the water created by it rushing over the rocky sections of the river. Trout will sit in small pockets behind rocks that have small flat water behind them and will pounce on anything that passes by.
It is here that you will find Summer fishing for trout at it's best.

I use very small #00 (1.5gm) metal blade spinners and these work a treat in the fast water too. It's just a matter of casting the spinner up and across the river, then by keeping the rod tip at around 45-60degs to the water, retrieve the lure at the same speed as the flow of the river and hopefully you will soon bag a trout. By keeping the rod tip high it stops the lure from bouncing on the rocky river bottom, also from possible snags. Another way is to cast on a slight angle up and across the river still keeping the rod tip high keeping the line tight by letting the spinner drift downstream with the fast flow of the river. Once the line and lure are directly opposite you (facing the opposite side of the river) then slowly retrieve the line, this also produces many hookups. This can be done by using small floating hard body lures too. Some sections of fast water may be fishless, but this is just a part of what you have to contend with when trout fishing in fast water. Do not bypass any water as you will be surprised where trout will be holding. I have caught trout in 60mms of water that most fishers would bypass.

On bright sunny days with clear skies I always use the spinners with a black blade because the trout's eyes are very sensitive to light, so you should not be using a shiny silver lure in these conditions. To catch trout and be successful in doing so, you really have to be in the river wading for them. Being in the river you have more access to some of the best sections of a river that will be holding trout. Then it's just a matter of casting into pockets of water and working the lure across the river and back to you at the same speed as the water. If you retrieve the lure too fast it will more than likely spook the fish more rather than attract it, so getting the speed of the lure is quite necessary for a good catch rate.

If there are sections of the river were the sun is on it, then work the areas that have shade along the on them from the vegetation that grows along the river banks. These shaded areas regularly hold trout. Wide open spaces and slower shallow runs rarely hold trout on hot, clear days, but on overcast days the trout will venture into these sections of the river more often. Some of the best fishing in Summer is when it is a humid day with light drizzle. I have had many great sessions on the rivers in these conditions. It's worth getting a little damp being in the river in these conditions that's for sure.

This is when you can use a variety of spinners and hard body lures of different colours. Spinners in black, copper and gold all seem to produce some very good catches of both brown and rainbow trout in this type of weather. Hard body Rapala minnow lures in the trout patterns previously mentioned earlier will do well, as will many other hard body lures on the market and there are plenty to choose from.

The best time to fish for trout throughout the Summer months is at first light up until around 9.00am or when the sun hits the water, after that then your just wasting your time. If you're not an early riser then do as I do now days and that is go late in the afternoon. I will hit the river around 4.30pm -5.00pm when there is shaded areas along the river banks and you can work those areas and runs until the sun gets much lower and the whole river is covered in shade. Both early morning and late afternoon are some of the best times to be on a river. So if you want to catch a few trout over the Summer period then follow my lead and I'm sure you will pick up a fish or two and remember to use light tackle and hope in and wade the river.
One other thing is don't bother fishing the small rivers and creeks at this time of year either, low clear water the trout spook at the slightest movement.. You may still catch a few but they stress too easily in these conditions, so wait until there's a good down pour of rain that puts a little more water back into the rivers.

** FOOT NOTE: Don't forget to check out your local tackle store to see what is available for your assault on the trout fishing during the Summer months. I've only put in what I use and what works for me, I'm sure many of you have your favorites that you use too. Any way I've put this on the site hoping it may help a few of the novice fresh water fishers out there, good luck with your Summer fishing.
Cheers
Adrian
Attachments
5.30am morning mist. Mersey River. (Medium).JPG
5.30am at Weegena (Medium).JPG
4.50am Sunrise breaking through mist, Meander River. (Medium).JPG
Craig working the fast water, Meander River (Medium).JPG
The perfect trout rig, Mepps, Okuma & Diawa.(16-4-14) (Medium).JPG
Fast water, fished for the first time.Meander. (priv.prop) (Medium).JPG
7.30pm Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Last edited by meppstas on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Re: Spin Fishing Rivers For Trout In Summer.

Post by muzza43 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for this post Adrian, I found it most informative and will try to give it a go here in vic over summer. Who knows, I might even get a trout. Cheers muzza43.

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Great post, and perfect timing, as I'll be in Tassie next week. Fingers crossed for some nice trout!

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 pm

kubepau wrote:Great post, and perfect timing, as I'll be in Tassie next week. Fingers crossed for some nice trout!
Well when you're down here make sure to call into a tackle shop or one of the information centres and pick up some Angler Access Brochures. They have all the rivers that have angler access to them thanks to the Landowners and Inland Fisheries.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

eslop

Post by eslop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:02 am

Great info! I'm heading to Bright in the middle of summer and might try and put these techniques to work.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:22 am

Great article Adrian! Plenty of valuable info in your write up!! :thumbsup:
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:29 am

shazdoggg wrote:Great article Adrian! Plenty of valuable info in your write up!! :thumbsup:
Thanks every one, just hope it helps some one catch a trout or two during the Summer... :nicefish!:

Allan tarr

Post by Allan tarr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:03 pm

summer in Tassie is like winter in vic

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Allan tarr wrote:summer in Tassie is like winter in vic
Come on now Allan, it's not all that bad.. :cold: We moved here from Sth Aust nearly 15yrs ago and the Summers are absolutely great... :banana:

cheers
Adrian

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Last time I was in Tassie half the state was on fire and phones went down. I got back to the mainland to discover my partner and I were two of something like 300 people "missing".
I'll be happy for it to be a bit cooler this time around

Return to “Fishing techniques”