MTF on knots, drag and pressure

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: MTF on knots, drag and pressure

Post by purple5ive » Sat May 28, 2016 11:47 pm

frozenpod wrote:
ducky wrote:Line is doubled over on the albright. Like it or knot (haha) it's going to be close to double the thickness of an fg knot. Plus it isn't as strong. Good knot to tie in a rush. Crazy knot to tie if you're not.
Yes it is doubled over which gives the knot great shock capability, and it doesn't works its way loose like the fg.

Purple it short of does lock but you can add a half hitch to the braid if you really want. I have never seen one come undone.
Ive had quite a few come undone before taking the lure with it. And mostly because the wraps werent done and pulled neatly.
Im actually thinking about a few hitches to finish the albright or a new thing i found. Knot glue. It works on uv light so needs sun to work or a uv light at night.

Ducky.
The albright works of on micro guides in small breaking strains. Anything 8lb and up ice had it hit the guides. Also noticed the length of the leader makes a difference. Aka. Where the knot sits. Ive had it do well sitting between the stripper and spool. Or after the stripper. On the spool and it catches.

chillicrab

Post by chillicrab » Sun May 29, 2016 12:23 am

frozenpod wrote:
FG seems to work its way loose due to stretch in the leader.

???????????????????

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 am

frozenpod wrote:Albright can deteriorate due to damage but it doesn't work its way loose. But it takes houndreds of casts to do so.

FG seems to work its way loose due to stretch in the leader.
like ducky says i find the albright tag catches on guides and when it does it causes the line following it to loop over the guide it hit. i've had them work lose on as little as 10 casts. the fg on the other hand consistently lasts me multiple sessions before i retie "just in case"

both knots work on the finger trap principle, with the fg having many more wraps to spread the friction across. albright can also slip if the wraps aren't drawn right up to the bend in the leader before tightening. this point is critical because it holds the tag under tension and if not tight enough, will loosen the whole knot pretty quickly. half hitches or knot glue would solve this i reckon. fc also doesn't deal well with the tight radius bend at this point and i wonder if a break here is the cause of knot failure

with the fg, you want to really tighten it down after a couple of hitches but BEFORE you trim the leader tag. it will slip a bit but once the braid bites, you are good to go on with the rest of the hitches. You'll know when the knot is bedded in because the braid cuts the surface of the leader and goes translucent. It's important to have the whole of your wraps bedded in otherwise this is a source of slack. if the very end wraps don't bed then try less wraps. i work around this by really tightening every 6-8 wraps while tying.

I've had both knots fail when i'm not as meticulous but i have never had a fg fail for any other reason. the albright breaks down with use. like i said, i do use the albright, mainly for surf spinning where the knot is outside the guides at all times. it's a great knot and yes its very strong but i have much more faith in the fg for every other application.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun May 29, 2016 5:21 am

Cheers basti.

What I do is once the wraps are done on the fg I put a single half hitch to lock it all off then I give it a really decent tug. This completely beds in the knot and completely locks the finger trap. Then I just do the other 3 half hitches and trim the leader tag. Do another 4 half hitches and trim the braid tag. The half hitches only serve to stop the finger trap coming loose in my opinion.

I've never had a slippage or knot give way once it's been bedded in like this and I've never needed to use a lighter on the tag end either. I trim it completely flush to the half hitches with a set of flush cutters

Frozenpod is honestly the only person I've ever seen that's used the knot and hasn't been convinced by it. I can understand if he is tying it in the original finger wrap way which was a nightmare. Tie it in the same way as my video showed and it couldn't be easier.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 29, 2016 5:42 am

Your dead right about the fg basti.

Given Albright has a loop I wouldn't consider it to be a finger trap.

Return to “Fishing techniques”