Sport Fishing Australia

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Sport Fishing Australia

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:46 pm

mazman wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Tomcat1 wrote:ok before anyone jumps down my throat for asking i have checked google to try to find this info lol. what is a snapper swing rig? i have never heard of it.
A fancy name! :shutup: Neither had I heard of it until I bought the magazine, but then I had been occasionally using the technique anyway.

I reality all it is, is a two hook rig, the top hook is bait and the lower hook is left to swing free.
how does this rig help
The only way to find out is to try it out.

If I recall correctly I did hook the fish on the lower unbaited hook, and the bait was gone from the upper hook.

If you ever fish for trout, they can suck the bait off of your hook before you even know that they are there. So having a free hook does work, there is a technique using a 'stinger' hook on bait. (you will have to do your own work on that one).

the other option is to buy the mag and read the article.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm

I reckon the beach rigs are quite interesting with the lure chasing the fly.....would be interesting to see if it attracts the fish.

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm

I've been a subscriber to Sport Fishing Australia for over a year now. I started the subscription because of the Yak Fisher part but now that I've been converted to a boat fishermen I'm reading more of the other half of the mag and it really does have great info.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 am

poodoo wrote:I reckon the beach rigs are quite interesting with the lure chasing the fly.....would be interesting to see if it attracts the fish.
These rigs were suggest for trout fishing over 2 decades ago. Occasionally I would add a fly with a tassie devil or rapala when fishing for trout.

Lately I have been thinking about using a few tassie devils spinning for salmon. I have a bucket load of them, perhaps half still in their packets.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
poodoo wrote:I reckon the beach rigs are quite interesting with the lure chasing the fly.....would be interesting to see if it attracts the fish.
These rigs were suggest for trout fishing over 2 decades ago. Occasionally I would add a fly with a tassie devil or rapala when fishing for trout.

Lately I have been thinking about using a few tassie devils spinning for salmon. I have a bucket load of them, perhaps half still in their packets.
Haven't done much trout fishing only when I was a kid with worms or celtas. Would be interesting to use the tassie devils, do you think you would get the distance on the beach? Or are you thinking just from a pier?

Return to “Fishing techniques”