Lures Or Bait?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
fishmagnet

Lures Or Bait?

Post by fishmagnet » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Alright guys,
i'm keen to know whether you guys mainly fish lures or bait. lure fishing ( especially soft plastics) has become really popular over the last few years so i'm curious to know... i personally mainly fish bait but occasionally flick around a lure or 2. i also find that it is more challenging and may require more skill to successfully use lures. anyway so what do you guys normally use? lures or bait? and do you find lures more of a challenge then bait?
cheers sam

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Lures Or Bait?

Post by DougieK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Almost exclusively lures.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Really depends on what I am targetting. In the boat, I will usually bait fish, but throw a SP around for flatties/pinkies while i do it. For squid, 100% lure, same with salmon. Off the rocks I will bait fish, but will have lures on hand in case a school comes through, or if there is squiddy looking reef. Whiting I fish for 100% with bait, same with gars. Trout/reddies are 50/50 depending on how I feel on the day. Gummies are another one I only target with bait. I also enjoy using sabiki rigs which I sorta feel is halfway between the two, seeing as they arent really a lure, but I dont use bait with em.

Sorry for the confusing response, but it really just depends :P

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 pm

I fish 50 50 bait and lures have caught whiting on poppers in swan bay gummies on bait in westernport need to catch a snapper on a hardbody bought some rapala tail dancer lures this year is the year

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 am

I've never fished bait. Started with fly fishing and now just hardbody or soft plastics. I'd say 75 - 80% SP and blades - 25% hardbody lures.

I think the learning curve is steeper with lures but once it clicks it's all ok. My main reason is I find bait too passive. I'd rather be moving around stalking and hunting the fish than sitting and waiting for something to happen. Can't beat the feeling of figuring out where you think fish will be holding, presenting your lure to that spot with an accurate cast and then having a take. Of course that doesn't happen that often but when it does all come together - man, its the best.

Second reason is limited mess/smell. I often take a telescopic rod to work with me with a handful of blades. Can go for a lunchtime fish and no-one is the wiser.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 am

I'm targeting squid and salmon atm, so pretty much exclusively lures. I have been trying for bream on sp/hb lures but only one in the bag. Only one flatty too, even though they are supposed to be easy to catch. I bait up only if I have the patience to lug the esky, rods, net, food, bait etc to a location. Also depends on available time. Lures are easier to sneak a quick session.

Leaving aside the squid and salmon, which I feel like I have kinda cracked, my fish-per-hour rate is still much much better when using bait.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 am

I normally bait fish but is keen to learn lures.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 am

On the point of fish per hour rate. I don't have the experience myself but I know a number of lure fisho that reckon you catch less fish but they're bigger/better quality on lures. Is that true in your experience ?

From my perspective I've caught mid 20cm bream at docks on lure but nothing smaller than that - do you get smaller than that regularly on bait?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 am

sloth wrote:On the point of fish per hour rate. I don't have the experience myself but I know a number of lure fisho that reckon you catch less fish but they're bigger/better quality on lures. Is that true in your experience ?
Nope. Never really noticed the difference. I guess it depends on what you're fishing for.

Although remembering it's not unusual to have 4 rods out each with two baits, as opposed to a single lure.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

nafa

Post by nafa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

DougieK wrote:
sloth wrote:On the point of fish per hour rate. I don't have the experience myself but I know a number of lure fisho that reckon you catch less fish but they're bigger/better quality on lures. Is that true in your experience ?
Nope. Never really noticed the difference. I guess it depends on what you're fishing for.

Although remembering it's not unusual to have 4 rods out each with two baits, as opposed to a single lure.
You make an interesting point. I have found that once I use more than one rod my fishing usually suffers as a result. I think it is because you need your head on a swivel, your ears tuned for the right ratchet and whatever you do, do not attempt a toilet stop unless all the lines are out of the water! I guess it's a bit like Clint Eastwood said, " A man needs to know his limitations".

Return to “Fishing techniques”