Detecting bites on SP's

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Aaron1985

Detecting bites on SP's

Post by Aaron1985 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Been out for a couple of hours the last 2 days trying to catch down in the st kilda area on the pier and a couple of the jetties with no luck. Is there anyway of detecting bites easier? I don't know whether I'm getting bites,I'm just dragging the lure through weed or the current has something to do with my line suddenly going tight.

On another note the tide was out when I went yesterday so I ventured out to a sandbar I could which took me out towards where all the boats are moored up. I couldn't see any signs that said no fishing around the beach but a couple of people walking their dogs gave me a lot of dirty glances. It was really empty so there was no chance of me making it unsafe for anyone. Surely you're allowed to do this or are you only allowed to fish from designated areas like the pier?

Any information on either of these would be great.

Cheers.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Detecting bites on SP's

Post by Basti » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Bites are generally a lot sharper twitches than hitting the bottom. It's really tough to see in the wind but you may also be able to feel them

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Nothing wrong with fishing off the sand. Anyone says anything tell them to shove something sideways up the back end.

Always watch your line. If there's a bit of slack in it you'll see it twitch. Good gear and you can feel tiny hits. Get smashed and you'll know straight away. It's all just a learning curve

Aaron1985

Post by Aaron1985 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Cheers for the replies.

The guy in the tackle shop set me up with 8lb sufix elite monofilament line,I've been doing a bit of research and everywhere on the net is saying use a braid and preferably in an easy to see colour as it's easier to detect bites. Mainly after flatties so was thinking if it was worth going down to BCF tomorrow and grabbing a 6lb braid and spooling that up?

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:50 pm

yes, for lures especially you should be using braid, much easier to feel the lure and bites
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:49 am

If you go braid then run a Flourocarbon leader. The braids easier for you to see - and the fish ;) generally I fish braid with two rod lengths minimum of fc leader or I fish fc straight through. Both work with sp but you'll get better sensitivity with the braid. Have controlled slack in the line and watch for tics or unusual movement (watch for it stopping on the drop too). To be honest though if you're bottom bouncing an sp for flatties you'll know when you have one no matter the line - they generally aren't a subtle bite. One other benefit if braid is the zero stretch which makes the hook set easier. Overall if say a good move to ditch the mono but ensure you run ax decent fc leader and tie a decent leader knot like a slim beauty, fg knot or seaguar knot

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:55 am

True, when a decent flatty grabs on you will not be left guessing if it's wind or weeds etc. They are an ambush hunter and will inhale your SP/bait. Once you get one you'll know.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:32 am

If you want to see the line twitch like these Guys are saying then you need to fish with braid.
For flathead make site your Lure is in the bottom

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:19 am

just keep a belly in the line and watch for any suttle twitches, work for me..

if your using mono it you would see a huge difference by switching to braid.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Fishing techniques”