Left Hand or Right Hand ?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Left Hand or Right Hand ?

Post by mingle » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:45 pm

How many right-handers use a left-handed baitcast reel?

Fishing with bait-casters probably requires the most deft control of the rod, but I rarely see anyone using a left-hand wind reel...

Hmm...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I wouldn't say baitcasters require more control but in certain applications they might.

I consider baitcasters (at least as I use them) to be short stiffish rods for flicking heavier lures into very precise locations.

I cast right handed with them and switch to the left.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:35 pm

mingle wrote:How many right-handers use a left-handed baitcast reel?

Fishing with bait-casters probably requires the most deft control of the rod, but I rarely see anyone using a left-hand wind reel...

Hmm...
I'm keen to give one a crack for sure. I reckon I may buy myself one and force myself to learn it. However with spin in the same movement I switch hands I flick the bail arm so as the lure lands I'm ready to go. Never really came across a scenario where the water is running that hard and the cast that small that I'm out of the strike zone before I can get a wind in.If that was going to be the case for that session I'd wind with my left.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:41 am

All my left hand does is wind and close the bail. Right hand is dominant so it fights the fish or works the lure. BC reels can be had in lh wind so that's the way I've gone with that too

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:49 am

cast with my right and change over to wind with my right -- I use a lot of old school OHs ( Penn ) and most didn't come in LH wind so it must have been a common practice use gear this way

50 or so years ago when dear old dad got me fishing this was the way he fished as well - RH wind RH cast

I have tried winding with my left but it feels to uncoordinated - the day I find I can't hook and land fish using the systems I learnt half a century ago
then I might give left hand wind another go
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:57 am

Normally cast right, switch, wind right.

Having said that, went on a charter at Lake Tyers and the operator demanded that we cast with our strong hand and wind with the opposite. Within half and hour it was second nature and certainly resulted in having much better contact with the lures we were chucking.

Playing fish took a little bit more getting used to but was okay.

It made a lot of sense to fish that way.

Will switch over all my gear following that experience, although I'm still too uncoordinated to crank in metals at the beach at speed, or to finesse fish with small celtas. Will need a bit more practice.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:03 am

I pretty much fish exclusively casting with right, winding with left. I converted over when I got into squid fishng, as working the jig with my left hand, and winding in the slack at the same time was much easier and more controlled that way, and once I got used to it, it felt much more natural, especially for lure fishing.

It also works well when packing the boat, my rods all lay one way down the middle of the boat, and the old mans the other way. haha.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 am

It,s an age old argument that has had plenty of space in this forum and generally most people can,t be convinced to change.
I was taught from an early age that the dominant hand controls the rod and never needs to leave it,why change hands?
It,s a no brainer for me but my son in law just doesn't,t get it.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Bodz

Post by Bodz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:18 am

I am left handed, cast left, wind right

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:26 am

Im a swapper with right hand the winding hand. I have learnt to cast with a low mounted multiplier on the surf rod which uses the left hand but it still feels better using the right hand.
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Fishing techniques”