Drop Shotting

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Drop Shotting

Post by Whiskers » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:57 pm

In recent times I've been experimenting with using very small soft plastics on a drop shot rig.

Because there's absolutely no weight on the lure itself it's possible to impart a terrific amount of movement to the lure whilst fishing it almost stationery. It's an ideal method of fishing tight, snaggy swims or structure.

A quick session late this afternoon produced several Reddies from hard up against a steep rockwall. No biggies today but I know there's some there!

Does anyone else on the forum use drop shotting and how have you found it?
:)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Drop Shotting

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Bunch of folks at Mornington use tiny squid jigs like this very effectively. No idea about plastics.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

brybry

Post by brybry » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Did try it years ago on the Patto using Berkley drop shot minnows without much (any!) success.

Still think it could be an effective method, especially down the docks with a worm imitation hard up against the pylons.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:12 pm

I've tried it for bream. My personal experience was that it worked - but wasn't any more successful for me than other, easier to rig techniques so wasn't something I kept doing.

Its a useful technique for highly pressured or shutdown fish *if* you know where they're suspended or if they're relating to the bottom but I found it a bit limited in terms of its speed and usability for searching out fish. I don't usually have a lot of time when I fish so I tend to go to quicker and more aggressive methods to get onto them

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14 pm

brybry wrote:Did try it years ago on the Patto using Berkley drop shot minnows without much (any!) success.

Still think it could be an effective method, especially down the docks with a worm imitation hard up against the pylons.
Yeah that's what I though too :)

I tried it around the pylons using eyeball tails thinking it would slay .... Got a few fish but no more than you'd get on a micro or tea bagging a blade.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:18 pm

I've had a fair bit of success drop-shotting Jewies. It's a great method for shut-down fish. You can run an SP right past their noses, varying the action while staying in the zone.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I've only used this technique in freshwater so far but it's shown me enough to warrant persevering with it.

It'll be interesting to pursue this in the salt, specially hard up against structure.
:)

Return to “Fishing techniques”