bait techniques..?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: bait techniques..?

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:29 pm

Something to consider is that snapper hit whole fish in the head or in the guts. Irrespective which way round you hook up a pilly, always ensure there is a hook in its head and a hook in its gut area. Hooks always to be well exposed, and never buried in a bait.

Many fishos use slider hook rigs in ppb, but personally I hate this method as I've dropped a few fish in the past due to the sliding hook not doing its job. These days both hooks are always fixed. Basically a standard wp snapper rig, however unweighted. (I fish in depths under 10m in ppb).

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Twin hooks or single? Large pilly (100gm) or the average?

Single: through the body tail end of arse. Turn hook and put through half, turn hook back out so point is back out of fish near the gills and half hitch tail.

Twin: through near gills, the through through tail end just past arse. Half hitch tail.

Large pilly: butterfly. Top snelled hook through head hook point above mouth. Trailing hook dangling between the two fillets

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Redhunter wrote:
CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:I take the tail off, i slice up the body and take the backbone out and then pin them through the head. It stops them spinning in the tide and lets the smell out.
Flapper bait.?
(As per mackeral flappers in the uk).
Flapper? Interesting CarlG! Haven't heard it called by that name before. Have tried this method many times over the years and refer to it as a "butterflied" bait. Something I learnt from some of Geoff Wilson's old stuff when I took on the mulloway challenge some years ago. I've used this method with other whole fish as opposed to pillies in the past, as I reckon pillies are too soft, but there ya go!
Just the uk name for it red, same thing really..

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:39 pm

dezza68 wrote:
CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:I take the tail off, i slice up the body and take the backbone out and then pin them through the head. It stops them spinning in the tide and lets the smell out.
Flapper bait.?
Exactly, works well in Westernport. Used it last year under a float for sharks with smallish salmon. Got plenty of hook ups but the landing, landing part not so succesful.
Yeah, we know that feeling Dezza....lol....many brutal smokings have made us up our gear rating from last season...

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:45 pm

CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
CarlG wrote:
Flapper bait.?
Exactly, works well in Westernport. Used it last year under a float for sharks with smallish salmon. Got plenty of hook ups but the landing, landing part not so succesful.
Yeah, we know that feeling Dezza....lol....many brutal smokings have made us up our gear rating from last season...
What gear are you guys running now? Can't wait for you guys to land one, they must be monstrous.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:17 pm

They are only bloody eagle Rays alex. Nothing to get excited about.

Trolol

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:58 pm

cobby wrote:Twin hooks or single? Large pilly (100gm) or the average?

Single: through the body tail end of arse. Turn hook and put through half, turn hook back out so point is back out of fish near the gills and half hitch tail.

Twin: through near gills, the through through tail end just past arse. Half hitch tail.

Large pilly: butterfly. Top snelled hook through head hook point above mouth. Trailing hook dangling between the two fillets
I use 100 hooks all over the bait. 99% hook up rate

Rustie

Post by Rustie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:28 pm

ducky wrote:They are only bloody eagle Rays Nothing to get excited about.

Trolol
ROFL!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:36 am

ducky wrote:They are only bloody eagle Rays alex. Nothing to get excited about.

Trolol
That's generous, pretty sure they're just swell sharks they feed whatever jungle juice DougieK uses to get fired up before gym
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:25 am

4liters wrote:
ducky wrote:They are only bloody eagle Rays alex. Nothing to get excited about.

Trolol
That's generous, pretty sure they're just swell sharks they feed whatever jungle juice DougieK uses to get fired up before gym
I hear it's mostly "Jack3d" watered down with the tears of his defeated enemies.

Them swell sharks be aesthetic AF though. I'm mirin'

Return to “Fishing techniques”