Rod / Reel / Line Storage

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Rod / Reel / Line Storage

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi Guys

Wondering what measures every body takes when storing their rods, lines and tackle. For instance, we fished last Thursday for snapper and will probably be out some time next week using the same setup / rigs.

Do you just leave your rods/rigs tied off, ready to go for the next trip or do you cut of all the rigs and spool up the excess line so everything is free of tension?

I am assuming that it doesn't really matter either way.... but interested to know if leaving them stored with rigs still tied can degrade the strength of the rig?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Rod / Reel / Line Storage

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:50 pm

After every trip I wash down the rods and reels, then release drags lubricate the reels, remove old rigs, I always tie new rigs on every new trip.
Last edited by hornet on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm

if its still in good nick , i leave mine on.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Cheap rods i use all the time.
For 3 of my rods get hosed off, drags released and put back to lay down on floor of boat rigs and all.

Expensive rods get hosed off. Wiped dry put in rod bags in garage rod racks. rigs unclipped and put on rig holders and put in boat

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I cut everything off, wash the rods and submerge the reels in the sink for a few hours....hope I'm not buggering them up

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Mattblack wrote:I cut everything off, wash the rods and submerge the reels in the sink for a few hours....hope I'm not buggering them up
Seriously?

Note to self. Never buy mattblacks reels. Haha

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Mattblack wrote:I cut everything off, wash the rods and submerge the reels in the sink for a few hours....hope I'm not buggering them up
OMG I would not be submerging the reels! I cut off rigs soak hooks, lures etc in fresh water. Take reels off rods put rods in shower to shower with Rod (me) to rinse. give reels a quick gentle rinse in shower but leave them out of shower. After they are dry I back off drag (very important) every few trips i put some reel oil in the line roller. I trrat my good gear the same ad my cheap gear. My view is that cheap rods and reels need more care because they are more likely to corrode.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:40 pm

How I treat my gear post sessions depends on what I've been doing. If it's been on the boat getting covered in salt water I'll give it a rinse off with fresh water and put it in the rack. Generally I leave rigs on if they are in good condition, remove them if they are in poor condition. Either way before the next session I recheck the rigs before re using them or re tying.

Lure combos that sit in the car go ages without a wash because the only water they see is a bit on the spool by retrieving wet line.

Generally a couple of times a year if I'm bored I'll pull all the reels off. Wash everything then Give the rods and reels a wipe down with an inox soaked rag. This cleans them up nicely. Then just a bit of oil in the various areas of the reels. A quick spin. Back on the rods. New leaders tied. Then back into the rack.

I don't really get caught up in greasing/oiling after every session. Don't tend to break gear though so I'm happy with that.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:00 pm

I just hose my off, leave them to dry outside for a couple of hours then put them in the garage. I dont even worry about letting the drag off which is probably something I should do but have been using the same rod and reels for a very long time (I am somewhat embarrassed to say just how long) and they have not failed me yet. Once or twice a year I will give the reels a little service to make sure everything is lubed up and no corrosion.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:33 pm

ducky wrote:
Mattblack wrote:and submerge the reels in the sink for a few hours....
Seriously?

Note to self. Never buy mattblacks reels. Haha
actually, I will buy them if they are that tough! :-D

I am the lazy guy. Not unless I know my reels probably ended up with 1kg salt inside it, I dont bother washing them. I check the bail rollers regularly. If something is not moving, I tear the reels apart. I sevice my own reels.

I am lazy - I cut my rig. I will not waste my time trying to save a meter of mono or untangle a nest I find in my bucket next time I fish. It's quicker to tie a new one.

Rods? - who cares?

Return to “Fishing techniques”