Spearfishing and diving?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Spearfishing and diving?

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Mattblack wrote:The more I'm learning about fishing, the less I've been getting in the water (particularly around WPB...didn't realise there where so many toothy creatures in there). Excellent diving from Cat Bay all the way around to Pyramid Rock if your on the hunt for abs or a cray. I think it's closed season over spring for crays, and heaps of regulations on abalone.
I hooked onto a big giller at the Corals Sunday night and they are everywhere in WPB

I think rather be in the water with a Mako... them Gillers are savages. They have no fear whatsoever. IMO they would have no hesitation tasting a diver lol

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Seven gills are pretty docile. I watched a doco on them a while back. they went to a place though there they attacked and hunted in packs. Not in Aus though..

It's not the sharks you have to worry about diving in PPB.. Its the jetskis!

Anth

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Seven gills are pretty docile. I watched a doco on them a while back. they went to a place though there they attacked and hunted in packs. Not in Aus though..

Anth
Idk, I've caught swell sharks offshore wonthaggi and had gillers come up and maul them. Seen 7 foot gillers caught on the 90 mile with half missing from presumably other big gillers.

When they are hungry they don't care about anything. They worry me more a lot more than Bronzies, Schoolies and Threshers anyhow.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I’ve done heaps of it mate.
Have a search through the forum and I’m sure you will find some reports of mine from sometime ago now. Have gotten heaps of big flatties and flounders in the shallows along with many other species :)
Where do you go for flatties? Just PPB?
I reckon Albert would be awesome for them in the shallows. Maybe McLaughlins too
Yep PPB mate :)
Plenty of good spots. Just gotta know where.

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 am

Kimtown wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Seven gills are pretty docile. I watched a doco on them a while back. they went to a place though there they attacked and hunted in packs. Not in Aus though..

Anth
Idk, I've caught swell sharks offshore wonthaggi and had gillers come up and maul them. Seen 7 foot gillers caught on the 90 mile with half missing from presumably other big gillers.

When they are hungry they don't care about anything. They worry me more a lot more than Bronzies, Schoolies and Threshers anyhow.
Seven gillers are vicious, especially in packs. There is a book called White Pointer South which talks about seven gillers attacking people and shredding meat of peoples bones, surprised me also. I've been harassed by a bronzie once and hid behind a rock when diving but apart from that I haven't seen any man eaters in 20 years of diving (and I don't want to either). Unsure how true but didn't someone see a white pointer a few years ago in the bay near Altona? Thought I read it somewhere. Also where are the corals? Seen it mentioned a few times

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Yes, there was a video a while back of a bloke fishing in his tinnie off Altona, while the 4-5 meter White decided to check him out.

I'm with matt, Why on earth would you want to get in amongst those toothy variety that are in our waters !!
Now dont be giving me those statistics on how many shark attacks there's been of late, I am one tasty piece of morsal that would be bitten on as soon as I dared do anything silly like put a wet suit on and take a spear with me !! dead set guys, are you insane !

A few mate and myself went for our diving ticket years back, they took us out in a boat, we all got in, unfortunately I bled from the ears before equalising, had to come up. Got checked out and have a lot of scarring in one of my ears, so diving was a no no for me. I remember being on the boat, in absolute pain from my ears. fair annoyed me to be honest, missed a fair bit of activity with mates.

So, i feel I am duty bound, to try in any way possible to put off as many people as possibly from doing the "scoober" cause I damn well can't !

Kim Town, for god sake man, your about to embark on a 6 mtr purchase of a life time !
Think self preservation, why risk it !
LOL

Col

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 pm

bluewater81 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Anth

Seven gillers are vicious, especially in packs. There is a book called White Pointer South which talks about seven gillers attacking people and shredding meat of peoples bones, surprised me also. I've been harassed by a bronzie once and hid behind a rock when diving but apart from that I haven't seen any man eaters in 20 years of diving (and I don't want to either). Unsure how true but didn't someone see a white pointer a few years ago in the bay near Altona? Thought I read it somewhere. Also where are the corals? Seen it mentioned a few times
Not surprising. Gillers have always been aggressive towards baits/caught fish and are highly cannibalistic af well

The Corals is kind of between coronet bay and rhyll. Small little reefy area that can hold good amounts of pinkies and snapper. Busier than burke street in snapper season however.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Yes, there was a video a while back of a bloke fishing in his tinnie off Altona, while the 4-5 meter White decided to check him out.

I'm with matt, Why on earth would you want to get in amongst those toothy variety that are in our waters !!
Now dont be giving me those statistics on how many shark attacks there's been of late, I am one tasty piece of morsal that would be bitten on as soon as I dared do anything silly like put a wet suit on and take a spear with me !! dead set guys, are you insane !

A few mate and myself went for our diving ticket years back, they took us out in a boat, we all got in, unfortunately I bled from the ears before equalising, had to come up. Got checked out and have a lot of scarring in one of my ears, so diving was a no no for me. I remember being on the boat, in absolute pain from my ears. fair annoyed me to be honest, missed a fair bit of activity with mates.

So, i feel I am duty bound, to try in any way possible to put off as many people as possibly from doing the "scoober" cause I damn well can't !

Kim Town, for god sake man, your about to embark on a 6 mtr purchase of a life time !
Think self preservation, why risk it !
LOL

Col
Hahaha fair enough points there! I'd probably only be man enough to spear for flathead in the estuaries and inlets. I think I'll give the bluewater a miss

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 pm

This wasn't the doco i was talking about but its a good watch anyway

https://youtu.be/cug9e5Z3ecY

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 am

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fishe ... f0f13c8c1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BCJ9yPvmJk

I have no doubt they'd follow the snapper in this time of year too.

Return to “Fishing techniques”