Soft plastics technique

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
dannyb98

Soft plastics technique

Post by dannyb98 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey guys so I'm new to the soft plastics style of fishing. I feel I'm struggling with certain aspects like seeing the line to know when the lures on the bottom, dealing with the wind and not getting to much bow/slack in the line, because of this I most likely missing bites. I'm not used to the lighter gear hence why I'm probably struggling, if anyone has tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Soft plastics technique

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Simplest way to start is to stick to 1/8 jighead or 1/16 if you can cast a 1/16 ok. Cast out let it hit bottom (you'll see the line stop paying out and go slack). Click your bail arm over, raise your rod to about the 10'oclock (say about 45degrees in front of you). Then the retrive is just using the reel..couple of quick winds then stop. You'll see the line come tight which pops the placcie off the bottom and then it will fall on a semi slack line. When the line goes slack again you are on the bottom. Wait for a bit say five or ten seconds then couple of quick winds to pop it again. Repeat with different length pauses until it's retrieved and then cast out again.

The above takes any complexity or doubt out over whether you're moving the rod too much, too little etc. Couple of winds will just be a small pop off the bottom so it is nice gentle hopping of the place back to you. You can't fish them too slow either so let them sit if you have the patience. If you get a bite it will feel like a tap or a tug on the rod so strike. As this method means you are either on a tight line (winding the reel) or a semi-tight line the lure is falling back down the water column you'll generally feel most if not all takes. If anything feels a bit odd or you see the line jump or move just strike. Strikes are free ;)

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Re: Soft plastics technique

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:29 pm

When you say 'light', what do you mean? I do most of my soft plastics fishing with my Gen Black Itchy Twitchy, and I can feel most everything. 4 pound leader. I put my finger on the line out of habit -- all that childhood advice dies hard -- but I don't need to.

Everything sloth said is good. I'd add a couple of things. If you're using a really light jig head -- I'm talking a gram or so -- then you can sometimes just let it get knocked around by the movement of the water. I'd also reiterate that almost-a-cliche bit of advice you've doubtlessly run into -- you can't work plastics too slowly. I find I have success by switching between slow lifts, a bit of 'drifting', and the odd rapid movement.

Return to “Fishing techniques”