Lures/spinners. Tip for more active response.

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
rixter

Lures/spinners. Tip for more active response.

Post by rixter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 am

Ok , not sure if that has been mentioned before ? . Most of the older fishermen/women on here probably already know this little tip to making a spinner or lure more active while retrieving line, especialy with spinners.

This method makes the lure/spinner act more like a real injured fish while retrieving the line. You can 'sort of' accomplish the same sort of thing 'jigging/pausing etc' the rod as you reel in , but this method is much easier and seems to create a more realistic natural injured fish motion.

There is actualy a small jig/piece of wire on the market you can buy to do this for you , that clips onto your rod , but no need for it , it can be done with 1 finger. This method is based off that gizmo you can buy , but why buy it when it only does what 1 of your fingers can do, and easier !

When reeling back in a spinner or lure , reel as you would with your left or right hand. With the other hand holding your rod , keep it in a position toutching your line as if you were just about to cast out your line. This will keep the line very close to the rod right next to the reel (1st finger pulling up and toutching the line , the line around 3cm away from the rod , and about 10cm away foward of the reel, like your ready for casting 1 hand, 'sort of').
This can only be done with an eggbeater reel !, as the winding of the eggbeater reel, combined with the finger position toutching the line is helping create this even jig motion.
The motion of the reel winding with your line and finger in that position creates a jerk every revolution of the spool you wind. You can notice the tip of your rod jerking away evenly as you wind in, works exceptionaly well with spinners and a light tipped rod , you will see the rod tip jerking away smoothly as you reel in!.
Much easier than trying to jerk and wind etc, all you need is an even winding motion and your finger on the line in that position, and it does the jerking moton for you, and realistic looking, and 'very' effective !
Not only for freshwater , but also works well surf fishing too with lures , and also with squid jigs !.

Helps to wet your finger a bit too, the one toutching the line; as it can get a bit warm or grippy when reeling in with a dry finger on the line! , with a wet finger the line slides in a smooth motion helping to create the fluent jigging action.

I can honestly say i have had at leat around 25 % more bites/hookups/catches using this method , rather than trying to jerk , reel , jerk jerk , wait , reel , etc etc etc.

Cheers, hope this help out newbies with lures / spinners especialy , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

B J Hassan

Re: Lures/spinners. Tip for more active response.

Post by B J Hassan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am

well im going to flick some spinners around today , ill give it thanks rixter

kev_b

Post by kev_b » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks for the tip Rixter. Will definately give this a try next time I'm out spinning.

:a_goodjob:

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 am

Neat tip, cheers!
Here's another; Ive found that when retreiving a lure or plastic hold the rod just below horizontal pointing towatds the lure/plastic/slug and give the rod a little bit of left to right wobbeling with your rod holding hand when retreiving, works pretty good too - nothing major a just slight action, if in clear water try it out and check the action of the lure/plastic/slug, makes them dart left to right all "come and eat me" looking.
Tight lines = Good Times!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am

Hey Rixter, I`ve seen the gizmo your on about in your first tip. Only issue I would have with that method on a surf setup is, holding the line with your finger, aren`t you gonna end up burning a big line into your finger with the braid...? I normally just alter retrieve rate, if you retrieve fairly slowly, the rod tip wobbles anyway due to the action of the lure.
Your second tip works well for calamari BTW...often use that one at sorrento...

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:24 am

i want to see a video how this will alter the lure action. If I want my Gillies lure to swim more sideways, I bend it a bit. No more special handling after that.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Interesting, will give that method a whirl this week sometime. Anything to catch more fish is all good. :a_goodjob:

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm

This option is probably more for hardbody lures than surf fishing spinning lures, another option is when reeling in your lure instead of one finger use 2 fingers and have the line basicly run inbeteen your index and second finger thus causing a bit of a pause and slight tention making the lure look injured and twitch randomly, this method is used by most Pro lure fisherman and it is absolutely deadly

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for the tip , but am 90% a bait fisherman .

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:48 pm

MIKER wrote:Thanks for the tip , but am 90% a bait fisherman .
I wonder what you do on the remaining 10%, dynamite fishing? :icon_lolz:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Fishing techniques”