Savagegear lures

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Shepperton Steve

Savagegear lures

Post by Shepperton Steve » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 pm

hi Guys I was just wondering if any of you had tried any of the Savagegear lures in your waters?
They are very popular here in the UK ...both hard baits and soft baits.
The 4play herring series is probably the most popular....have any of you used them and did they work for you?

Steve :water:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Savagegear lures

Post by sloth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 am

G'day Stevo :)

I don't use savage gear but as an ex-pom I couldn't sit by whilst you got no answers. I've seen savage gear in a couple of our big chain tackle/outdoor stores but only recently- the import/distributor deal was done in August this year i think. They advertise they do Aussie specific models but I expect their main products and presumably what you have will likely work over here. I don't do much hard body lure fishing - mainly soft plastics (which are very popular here) and vibes/blades (a recentish craze and I do like to follow the cool kids). I target bream so pretty much small soft plastics and when I do use hb's tend to use micro vibes and small minnows (stay around 40mm, 50mm absolute max).

What are you looking to target and are you fresh, salt or estuarine fishing? You might get someone with more experience to give a few pointers on what lures works or don't work with that info. I've only been fishing bream around melbourne for a few months so probably limited help.

Good luck and enjoy your time in oz. Be very careful though - enjoy it too much, like I did, and you might never leave !

Shepperton Steve

Post by Shepperton Steve » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 am

Hi Sloth, thanks for the info :-)
I will be (hopefully) a bit of fresh water fishing, not to fussed what i target Redfin etc.
Like you I mainly fish soft plastics now days.
I am thinking of bringing a few out with me Brand new in the packets because i know it can be diffcult to bring in used tackle. I know what works for Pike, Perch and Zander here in the Uk and would like to try some of the Uk patterns out there...what do you think?
I will be staying at my daughters in Wesburn so the nearest freshwater fishing would be in the Yarra.

Nice to hear from you Mate

Steve :set1_fishing:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Hey mate ,

Yeah give em a go - nothing to lose - I don't think the fish will know the lures aren't from Australia ;) I think a lot of predatory fish react similarly. Only consideration is lure size I guess ... Wouldn't go too big .

Bringing in tackle is generally ok as long as its clean and dry. Look up the AQIS website for advice ... Bringing in new should be ok but you may still need to declare it. I'm off to New Zealand soon and made the same decision to just pick up tackle there rather than try to bring it in with me.

Other thing ... Might want to pick lures that work well in dirty water. The yarra has been called the upside-down river .... It's usually a dirty weak coffee brown and you see your lure for about 6 inches. Might be better further upstream from where I am (CBD) but good to be prepared, especially since we've had a bit of rain recently.

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 am

Hi guys,
Just saw the latest BCF catalogue - and they have started stocking savage gear lures / plastics.
I am assuming they are the same ones that you are referring to Shep Steve - check em out - might save you the postage and any import duty / taxes.
Cheers - Steve
Tight lines = Good Times!

Shepperton Steve

Post by Shepperton Steve » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks plas, will do :thumbsup:

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 pm

I like Savagegear lures, they swim straight and have a good action, reasonably priced at my local rays store, I have only tried a couple just to test so no fish on them yet but I havn't seariously fished them yet

Return to “Fishing techniques”