My Whoosh! Splash! moment

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Fishn104

Re: My Whoosh! Splash! moment

Post by Fishn104 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 am

kaotay wrote:
Fishn104 wrote:
kaotay wrote:Thanks for sharing, guys. One day on and it still hurts! Am going to make some rod leashes as I have a light daiwa seajigger rod I don't want to lose. Thinking of using some carabiner clips and thin rope. Hopefully I can find clips that stand up to the salt.
I normally set my drag loose but not yesterday as I was using circle hooks, had them on strike drag, which was enough for the light rod to go airborne once it was dislodged from the rocks .
I once arrived at a spot and found a guy fishing in his underwear. He'd jumped in after his rod, but it was too late. Thankfully there were no women or young children around, it wasn't a pretty sight as he dried his clothes on the rocks.
Lol, must be a lot of big fish where your fishing lol!!!
Yeah but that guy copped it big time from the other fishos....not only the noob shame of losing a rod, they said he was hiding something undersized in his jocks!
Lol he was hiding something in his jocks.......shame!!! :rofl: :rofl:
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 am

davek wrote:kaotay, I use stretch lanyards when out looking for cod/carp, they stretch to 3m and are about $5 each on ebay. If your interested look in the fishing section, cheers davo
I got some from BCF. $5.00. They have a plastic clip one end so salt is not an issue and a Velcro wrap on the other.
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 am

kaotay wrote:Thanks for sharing, guys. One day on and it still hurts! (It keeps replaying in slow motion) Am going to make some rod leashes as I have a light daiwa seajigger rod I don't want to lose. Thinking of using some carabiner clips and thin rope. Hopefully I can find clips that stand up to the salt.
I normally set my drag loose but not yesterday as I was using circle hooks, had them on strike drag, which was enough for the light rod to go airborne once it was dislodged from the rocks .
I once arrived at a spot and found a guy fishing in his underwear. He'd jumped in after his rod, but it was too late. Thankfully there were no women or young children around, it wasn't a pretty sight as he dried his clothes on the rocks.
i made some rod leashes after seeing it on a diy video. they work well and are as nice as the good ones you buy from the shops. just get some wipper snipper string, wrap it around a stick nice and tight then use a heat gun t mold it to the shape. then put your plastic hook on one end and velcro strip on the other end using a metal crimp. they really work well and with the coiled up design they dont take up much room in the tackle bag.
also i use circle hooks all the time and i leave the drag lose. when you see the bite just grab the line with the rod to let the hook set..
i had one of my rods a while back go in while fishing mordi pier. was fishing the creek side of the pier and saw a boat coming out so reeled in one line and just left it hanging in the water next to the pier mid water column. then began reeling in the other rod. while i was reeling in the second rod the first one jumped right into the water. thankfully it floated back to the surface right next to the pier and i was able to hook the line with the other rod and pulled in the rod and a 2 kilo snapper. took the rod home and gave the rod and reel a good cleaning.

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:40 pm

ducky wrote:I once had a hard running eagle scream off and as I pulled the rod out of the holder the whole unit came up, bye bye stainless rod holder lol.

A few months ago I lost my reel handle whilst spinning for trout. Not fun when you're 3km downstream from the car.

I once saved a ladies handbag at flinders which got blown in. Squid jig to the rescue. Got it about 30m out. Haha. She was pretty grateful.

:lol: :clap:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Had the wind, blow 4 rods off Kerferd rd pier in a hockey bag(for transport) when I had just arrived! Had 1 telescopic in a bakcpack so had to use that for the day :wall: .

I turned my back one time at Kerferd rd pier to see my mini w** pole(4m) missing and my hook still in the pier. I ask nearby fishos if anyones taken it or seen anything! Nobody knows ****! I look out to the water to see my pole floating towards st kilda about 30m away. Thankfully it was a warm day so i stripped down to jocks and jumped in! When i grabbed the pole there was a 20cm mullet and i did side stroke back to the pier with pole in one hand haha. Was almost the luckiest day in that fishes life :tongue: !

Also lost a shimano ballistics 2 yrs ago at Kerferd with daiwa procast during a strong S-SW. The rod had a bell and I was fishing saury chunk on 6/0 circle and the rod had 2 sharp taps then went flying in! I was less than 2m away and was walking towards it on the first bite. Was its maiden trip(the combo) aswell which is annoying cos I didnt even get to play a fish on it :doh1: .

Lost my rex hunt signature series rod with jarvis walker mag max baitcaster on the murray to what i can only assume was a massive carp. The rod itself wasnt terribly expensive(compared to what i own now) but I had modded it with a threaded tip so you could fish a screw in nibble tip on it and i had caught so many fish on the outfit it almost brought me to tears!!

Lost a few more rods to the fish goids, but these are definetly the ones that stand out!
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 am

can't say I've ever lost a rod over the side before (most of my fishing is out of a boat). But once I was in such a rush to get the rod out of the rod holder i pulled the whole rod holder out and that went for a swim. good thing they are easily replaced :S

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

Gee shazzdoggg that's 6 rods lost at Kerferd Road over all that time, if I was you mate I wouldn't fish there any more that place has you cursed!
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Gee reading your posts, (especially Shazzdog's) I feel a bit better. :notworthy:

Thanks davek & murlz, I'll check them out.
Tomcat, I might give that a go with loose drag on circles if there's no way to secure the rod.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:Gee shazzdoggg that's 6 rods lost at Kerferd Road over all that time, if I was you mate I wouldn't fish there any more that place has you cursed!
5 from kerfed but you just reminded me of another incident where I had a cheapo telescopic rod pulled in and I managed to get it back after it floated to the top and I cast to it. I dont fish Kerferd nearly as much as I used to! Found better spots nearby which produce more consistently. Only thing with kerferd is it produces a good variety of species.
kaotay wrote:Gee reading your posts, (especially Shazzdog's) I feel a bit better. :notworthy:

Thanks davek & murlz, I'll check them out.
Tomcat, I might give that a go with loose drag on circles if there's no way to secure the rod.
Loosing rods is a part of fishing if you spend enough hours doing it! Apart from getting a nitro/tierra(not that high end) combo pinched, Ive never lost a high end combo to fish. There are many yakkers out there who have lost 1k outfits when they have capsized :wall: :whoh:
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Had the wind, blow 4 rods off Kerferd rd pier in a hockey bag(for transport) when I had just arrived! Had 1 telescopic in a bakcpack so had to use that for the day :wall: .

I turned my back one time at Kerferd rd pier to see my mini w** pole(4m) missing and my hook still in the pier. I ask nearby fishos if anyones taken it or seen anything! Nobody knows sh*t! I look out to the water to see my pole floating towards st kilda about 30m away. Thankfully it was a warm day so i stripped down to jocks and jumped in! When i grabbed the pole there was a 20cm mullet and i did side stroke back to the pier with pole in one hand haha. Was almost the luckiest day in that fishes life :tongue: !

Also lost a shimano ballistics 2 yrs ago at Kerferd with daiwa procast during a strong S-SW. The rod had a bell and I was fishing saury chunk on 6/0 circle and the rod had 2 sharp taps then went flying in! I was less than 2m away and was walking towards it on the first bite. Was its maiden trip(the combo) aswell which is annoying cos I didnt even get to play a fish on it :doh1: .

Lost my rex hunt signature series rod with jarvis walker mag max baitcaster on the murray to what i can only assume was a massive carp. The rod itself wasnt terribly expensive(compared to what i own now) but I had modded it with a threaded tip so you could fish a screw in nibble tip on it and i had caught so many fish on the outfit it almost brought me to tears!!

Lost a few more rods to the fish goids, but these are definetly the ones that stand out!
Ouch!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Return to “Fishing techniques”