How to fish in streams

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Boza

How to fish in streams

Post by Boza » Mon May 30, 2016 8:33 pm

So before the trout season closes on the 13th of june I wanna get some more practice in on fishing in streams and shallow rivers with lures do I follow the current the way it flows cause from my limited knowledge the trout sit against the current waiting for food to flow down.

Also in darker water and ovecast day's I should use a darker lure and on bright days and clear water use bright lures.

Also whaen I buy my lures what do I need to look for surface or floating or a lure with a bib that dives down what are stick baits as well.

Are spinners good in streams like celta's etc.. JUst want some general info on fishing in streams with lures maybe some small soft plastics but haven't got a clue about them.

Also just any general info I should know would be great

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: How to fish in streams

Post by DougieK » Mon May 30, 2016 8:34 pm

There are some great posts by meppstas on here who probably get's more trout out of streams than the rest of the forum put together. Worth searching his name and reading pretty much everything he's written.

A post he made a while ago had diagrams and everything.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Seconding that suggestion. You're unlikely to find a more experienced trout fisho than him.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Buy some spinners in number 1 and number 2 sizes and some soft plastics around 30-50mm in size to start out. walk up stream and cast into likely areas the fish will be holding. places like just before or just after a bit of a quicker run, a log or rock, Bubble trails where water is flowing into a deeper hole, undercut banks, trees that are hanging out over the water. Just get out there and start casting around is the best way to learn!

Where are you planning on going to get a bit of practice in before the season ends?

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon May 30, 2016 10:48 pm

4liters wrote:Seconding that suggestion. You're unlikely to find a more experienced trout fisho than him.
100% agree mate the advice meppstas gives is some of the best you will find and his trout capture results speak for themselves.
Last edited by Marty.A on Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 pm

Agreed best way to learn is to spend time on th water! U lose a few lures at first but once ur casting becomes accurate and u know how to identify a likely holding area you'll start becoming more consistent!

Don't be disheartened if u donut. Few times either, it's all apart of the learning curve!

And as others have already stated Adrian is without a doubt this forums trout stream guru! The info you could get from him is invaluable!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 am

For trout always cast upstream and avoid making too much of a disturbance. I usually use small floating hardbodies (50mm) since I can float them over snags and they wont get snagged on the bottom like spinners do. I'm personally not a fan of spinners or soft plastics because they have a habit of getting snagged on the bottom of the streams I fish and feel very dull/unresponsive through my rod.
However trout aren't all that fussy about the lures but are easily put off by visible line (nothing above 6 lb, 4lb is preferred) and I've caught them on everything from unweighted scrubbies to micro spoons. The most important thing is to get the lure within 2 feet of the trout and making it look natural/making sure it's working like it should.
Also I'm a fan of actually wading through the middle of the stream for better casting options and accessibility.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 31, 2016 11:15 pm

For a beginner, You'd rather lose a $4 spinner than a $15 hardbody.. You shouldn't be letting the spinner hit the bottom anyway. You should be choosing your spinner size to the depth of water you are fishing.
Even those 10gram halco metals are good. Also small spoons/wobblers are good and cheap to start out with

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:39 am

Have a read of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10726

A lot of good info in there.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:55 am

Brilliant, thanks for digging that up.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”