info on catching bardi grubs??

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
alexcarrillo
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:21 am

info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby alexcarrillo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm

i am up at the mighty murray as we speak and have spent an absolute fortune on bait in the past week. $3.50 a grub to be exact. it is getting annoying feeding all the smaller fish with my very expensive grubs, but i want to persist and hopefully get the big one.

my question to you is where and how do i get my own bardi grubs. time of year, methods, rough locations, i am located in tullamarine but willing to drive within a 2 hour radius if need be.

i know i can google it but a bit of first hand info from people who do it themselves would be great. cheers



Remove these ads.

barra mick
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 6081
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby barra mick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Hows it fishing atm ?

Wolly Bugger
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3959
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Wolly Bugger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 pm

alexcarrillo wrote:i am up at the mighty murray as we speak and have spent an absolute fortune on bait in the past week. $3.50 a grub to be exact. it is getting annoying feeding all the smaller fish with my very expensive grubs, but i want to persist and hopefully get the big one.

my question to you is where and how do i get my own bardi grubs. time of year, methods, rough locations, i am located in tullamarine but willing to drive within a 2 hour radius if need be.

i know i can google it but a bit of first hand info from people who do it themselves would be great. cheers



There are a number of different species, the easiest ones are in willow trees. The hardest ones are in the ground around eucalyptus trees.

Some are called bardies and others witchery grubs.

Generally speaking witchery grubs are found at the base of gum trees, this means chipping away the top soil to find a hole and then threading a retriever down the hole to retrieve the grub. Believe me this is hard work. Usually along river or creek banks, sandy soil is better.

In Autumn after a rain, big moths will emerge and fly around the camp fire and these moths also make great bait.

tracks
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby tracks » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 am

As Wolly posted, we use to use the twisty bit a coat hanger to get them out of their holes, try using bardi socks to hold the grub while fishing and you can also use some mozzarella cheese in the socks also, finding and retrieving barbi grubs is time consuming and very hard to explain best bet is get someone to show you, If you go through Shepparton drop into Trelly's tackle shop and I'm sure the guys will give you some pointers and grab a length of socks, they will explain what to do, good luck.

ps try this https://www.trellys.com.au/collections/ ... /bait-sock

User avatar
Truedogz
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: Tabilk

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Truedogz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Mate, I don't even bother with Bardie grubs these days - too much hard work and cheese is at least as effective. String some cubes of Mozarella on a hook and cover with a bait sock. Just as good as a grub. For more oomph add a scent of some type. Davo and I in the past twelve months have caught many cod up to about 70 cm on cheese.

If you are after better sized cod the best bait are yabbies particularly fished at night. So if fishing one hole targeting a big cod I would use a large yabbie. If moving around such as in a boat cheese or moderate sized yabbies. I haven't tried them but chicken breast and bread with linseed oil are reported to be really good too.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Texas
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1432
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Texas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm

What about wood grubs, they work fine.
I wire them onto the hook
Haven't got much fire wood around at the moment, so I'm grub poor
Cheers Gra

P.s. truedogz--- chicken breast, bread & oil--- supper ???



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Truedogz
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: Tabilk

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Truedogz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Texas wrote:P.s. truedogz--- chicken breast, bread & oil--- supper ???


Not as silly as it sounds Graham. I've been known to munch on Mozarella while fishing, but not Bardies or worms. Some people have used sausages and salami for bait so I'll have to try that.

I've cooked wood grubs from wattle trees and reckon they taste great - too good to waste on cod!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Texas
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1432
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Texas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Texas wrote:P.s. truedogz--- chicken breast, bread & oil--- supper ???


Not as silly as it sounds Graham. I've been known to munch on Mozarella while fishing, but not Bardies or worms. Some people have used sausages and salami for bait so I'll have to try that.

I've cooked wood grubs from wattle trees and reckon they taste great - too good to waste on cod!

Best Wishes

Truedogz


A challenge for the cod trip, who'll eat the cooked grubs

Paulanderson
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Paulanderson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm

I agree with the other comments that finding your own grubs (Bardi, witchetty, wood or whatever) is hard work - there a few videos on You Tube that explain the process. As to eating them when cooked - to me they are a bit like eating a mouthful of hot nutty tasting fat. I would far prefer to put them on a hook! I will leave the eating to Truedogz :super:

Texas
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Rank: Rainbow Trout
Posts: 1432
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Postby Texas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Paulanderson wrote:I agree with the other comments that finding your own grubs (Bardi, witchetty, wood or whatever) is hard work - there a few videos on You Tube that explain the process. As to eating them when cooked - to me they are a bit like eating a mouthful of hot nutty tasting fat. I would far prefer to put them on a hook! I will leave the eating to Truedogz :super:


And grasshopper roasted???
Protein, protein, protein, you can buy cooked crickets for cow food.



Remove these ads.


Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests