Upper maribyrnong report (Keilor East)

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Tyler

Re: Upper maribyrnong report (Keilor East)

Post by Tyler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm

snapper hunter wrote:

Not to be returned to the water. Full stop.

Its illegal to return them to the water dead because the eggs can survive and hatch back into the water.

Myth. Complete and utter crap/rumor, getting sick of hearing it. Do some research and you'll find the eggs of a dead common carp can't be fertilized.

The regs are 'carp must not be returned to the water ALIVE'

If I'm in the boat they get gutted and sent back to feed the crays/yabbies.
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Tyler wrote:
snapper hunter wrote:
sloth wrote:

Not to be returned to the water. Full stop.

Its illegal to return them to the water dead because the eggs can survive and hatch back into the water.

Myth. Complete and utter crap/rumor, getting sick of hearing it. Do some research and you'll find the eggs of a dead common carp can't be fertilized.

The regs are 'carp must not be returned to the water ALIVE'

If I'm in the boat they get gutted and sent back to feed the crays/yabbies.
x 1,000,000! :-D
I don't even gut them...cut their throat, and back in they go (I only fish from the bank)! If they have eggs, then they are dispatched, left on the bank until I go then back in they go...and I don't really think the wait is needed. I am thinking about piercing their swim bladder to ensure they sink but haven't got around to finding a suitable pointy instrument! I like the 'throat cut' thing cos I believe the blood trail will attract the carp eating critters quickly.
Also worth noting it was not Sloth who said it is illegal to return them to the water dead cos of their eggs...your quotes are a bit out of whack Tyler.
cheers
Jim

Edit. Forgot to mention, I have seen various responses from DEPI in writing, and verbally which tell a different story eg. should be buried/binned or 'make sure they are dead when put back'. Until it appears in the book, I will not be changing my ways.
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I freeze all my carp and use them as cray and yabbie bait...best bait by a mile

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 am

The good thing about carp, and I may be told to f**k off because of this, is that they provide a good fishing experience in waterways where no other fish can survive. Where there was nothing, in many instances there is now carp. To me that's a good thing. But I agree, they must not be returned to waterways alive as they will survive even when we think they are dead.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:51 am

Cheers Jim, I'll try and fix the quote, did it on my phone haha.

I've found opening them from throat to tail 8 times out of 10 they don't float but the swim bladder is a good idea, would a fish spike do the job?
On the bank I tend to bury or bin then unless I'm in a pretty isolated area but sometimes I'm tempted to lob them at ski boats.

Giovanni I actually agree to an extent, as much as I hate carp in poor waterways or when nothing else is biting carp are still a bit of fun to catch.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:15 am

I will fix the quotes later. As for burying them...many places I fish you would need an excavator to dig! Fish spike would do the trick!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:48 am

Tyler wrote:but sometimes I'm tempted to lob them at ski boats.

Now that seems like a good use for them!
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

nafa

Post by nafa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 am

I bring along a machete with me and decapitate them. Subtle but effective.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm

I too lost a fishing rod at brimbank park in my youth which I can tell you was some years ago now! But unfortunately I couldn't locate it. I fished in the area coarse style for many years in a number of different locations for carp up to 20lb and lost one well over 30 numerous times. Thanks for posting as it brought back some great memories

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm

bong wrote:[ but apparently under the EJ Whitten bridge there's much deeper water which should produce more carp, or at least less wary ones.
You won't find the water any deeper there than anywhere else. I've fished in a Yak from Solomons ford (very end of Canning street) to that point and the closer you get to the bridge the more rock gardens and shallow riffles you encounter. Of course there are deeper holes but without a sounder or historical knowledge you will struggle to find them. Your best bet for deeper water is the stretches above the various fords along the river.

However... you don't need depth for the Maribyrnong barra... snags and reed and weed and a good dash of stealth will get you fish fairly often though the last couple of seasons have been hit and miss. Always approach the bank quietly as there is a very good chance that Mr mudsucker will be mooching in the shallows waiting for you. (And maybe Mr Joe Blake in the grass so be careful)

Redfin are usually small but are everywhere. If you see something bailing up baitfish in a snag it's probably Reddies.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”