Yabby Fishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
chad43

Re: Yabby Fishing

Post by chad43 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:23 am

I have eaten them out of both lakes, no issues i love them with a bit of lemon and salt.

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Hey,

Is Spavin Lake clean enough to keep fish and yabbies from or is it a bit polluted

kenzie101

Post by kenzie101 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:42 am

I have caught trout in Spavin and they were ok to eat. Only thing is they would not have been in the lake as long as the yabbies. Lake always seems clean and is on a watercourse so when it rains it gets a clean.
Mark
:water: Lazy Fisher

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm

kenzie101 wrote:I have caught trout in Spavin and they were ok to eat. Only thing is they would not have been in the lake as long as the yabbies. Lake always seems clean and is on a watercourse so when it rains it gets a clean.
Thanks, might try Spavin lake sometime soon then. One other thing, Does anyone know any lakes or dams closer to Melbourne CBD that would be good for catching and keeping yabbies

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:12 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:25 pm
Roxburgh park used to go there heaps as a kid n went last year n sure enough still heaps there happy hunting
Hi Big Gav, do you reckon there would still be yabbies in roxburgh park lake? Also would it be clean enough to keep yabbies from(also fish)?

Thank you!!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:33 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:12 pm
BIG GAV wrote:
Roxburgh park used to go there heaps as a kid n went last year n sure enough still heaps there happy hunting
Hi Big Gav, do you reckon there would still be yabbies in roxburgh park lake? Also would it be clean enough to keep yabbies from(also fish)?

Thank you!!
During the colder months (now) yabbies bury themselves into the mud and hibernate. They are best caught during the warmer months.
In reference to "where", they are very easily caught if they are there. A muddy dam is always a good place to start (with permission from the farmer if private property of course). If you ever have a hunch about a spot, have a go and you will quickly find out if it has yabbies or not.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:33 pm
GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:12 pm
BIG GAV wrote:

Thank you!!
During the colder months (now) yabbies bury themselves into the mud and hibernate. They are best caught during the warmer months.
In reference to "where", they are very easily caught if they are there. A muddy dam is always a good place to start (with permission from the farmer if private property of course). If you ever have a hunch about a spot, have a go and you will quickly find out if it has yabbies or not.
Thank you for all the info mate, appreciate it :-D ! I might head down and see if I can catch anything! I want to try and keep some yabbies for the first time but I don't know if Roxburgh is clean....

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Yabbies are bloody delicious mate.
I used to catch plenty as a kid but it’s been years since I’ve caught any now... I think I might give it a crack this summer and get myself a feed after along time :)

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”