Carp Virus

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Kev209

Re: Carp Virus

Post by Kev209 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:42 pm

I was at our Local lake about 2 weeks ago and there were literally thousands of Fry,(I would say they were Carp) right along the bank. If only a third of them survive, with a virus that kills them all, the lake would smell like a sewer pit. I can remember reading about the daughterless carp maybe that's the way to go. 0MO

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:46 pm

And they said the same about the bubonic plague,smallpox & polio. Contain & control has virtually eliminated them from the world.

The tasmanian govt is about to release the type 5 calicivirus down there amid howls of protest from the greens,The reason being is it will kill pet rabbit's. What the furk?

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm in 2 minds about it working, a bit of a wait and see thing, although thorough testing on All other species is a must before release cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Apparently the CSIRO have done significant testing with it. So just have to see, like in japan it was not 100% successful.

http://www.csiro.au/en/Research/BF/Area ... ol-of-carp

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:50 pm

It has apparently been tested on native fish and wildlife and found not to impact them, but Australia has a pretty shitty record when it comes to eradicating pests with biological methods, so I'm also a bit skeptical.

That said, it would result in a massive improvement to our waterways.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:05 pm

drewb wrote:It has apparently been tested on native fish and wildlife and found not to impact them, but Australia has a pretty shitty record when it comes to eradicating pests with biological methods, so I'm also a bit skeptical.

That said, it would result in a massive improvement to our waterways.
Yeah agree we have pretty much screwed ourselves over in that department across everything that has been introduced.

Watp

Post by Watp » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Did EHN teach us nothing? EHN was originally a frog virus, that spread to native fish such as Macquarie and silver perch after the introduction of trout and Redfin. It jumped from frogs to Redfin, mutated a bit, then jumped to native perch, cod, etc.
You can't control nature, when you do it finds a way!

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 pm

I agree with above. I don't like it one bit. I don't think they actually understand the system, they think they do and meddle in these things then face more complications down the line..
Az.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Bit of a write up about it in today's herald sun too.

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 pm

I'll believe it when I see it!

Even if it is '100% effective' it is hard to see all Carp being totally eradicated. That would mean getting the virus into just about every single body of water in the land...including farm dams, urban waterways, creeks, rivers, etc...

Although I must admit I think this virus is a good thing, and should be trialled in small land-locked waterways first. If it kills all the Carp without malaise to other fish, then go for it...introduce it to lakes, rivers streams and their tributaries and hopefully control and/or eradicate some or all the Carp from our waterways...

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”