Carp Virus

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Clintos

Re: Carp Virus

Post by Clintos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:29 am

So these waters that carry carp will now have a chance for other more tasty species to flourish and they can catch them, maybe they are concerned there will be a bag limit (no taking 15 fish each time)

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:54 pm

There have been some very interesting replies to this post, but I am still not convinced this virus will only kill the carp. (what efect will it have on yabbies, shrimp, frogs, birds and other wildlife)

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:28 pm

it is blatantly obvious to me that no one single method will eradicate the carp scourge

it will need a concerted effort from all directions virus herpes electro fishing and what

ever else i have left out .

and that is why we will NEVER see an end to this could you ever see all the relevant gov authority's get together on this and all pull in the same

direction haha yeah i should have been a comedian ....

cheers

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Interesting video, sounds very promising, after the virus and the genetic attack there should be a bounty on the beasts to clean up any survivors

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 am

Millions of European carp plaguing the Murray River will be destroyed under a control plan funded in the federal budget.

The $15 million National Carp Control Plan to unleash a herpes virus on the nation's worst freshwater fish pests should kill them off - without affecting other river life - by 2045, News Corp reports.

European carp, dubbed "the rabbit of the river", are huge breeders that are responsible for bringing native fish stocks in the Murray River to the brink of extinction.

Originally published as Herpes unleashed on freshwater fish pest

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... e5260ecafb

Guess we will have to wait for an official announcement tomorrow, if this is true.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 02, 2016 1:25 am

How is the virus delivered?

How easily can it be deposited into every single poo hole in Australia? It would be incredible to see a 95% reduction in carp. We will never eradicate them but would be great to see the benefits for other species in dropping their numbers by such a huge way.

Shotgun not spending any time near any locks on the murray haha. Jesus there's gonna be some rotting fish flesh

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 am

From the article
"But it can't be introduced into the waterways until 2018."
There is nothing new here, just a Liberal politician jogging memories. You'd think there was an election coming up. Oh wait, there is.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 02, 2016 11:17 am

Very much so wokka, as what I quoted in my post above is all that was in the article at the time I posted it. It's now been edited, with more details.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 02, 2016 12:29 pm

The article I read has Pyne saying the reason for waiting to 2018 is so they can work out a plan to deal with all the dead carp. Most of the money allocated to this project seems to be for the clean up too. Good to see they're putting a bit of thought into it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”