Carp Virus

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
malleestump

Re: Carp Virus

Post by malleestump » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:31 pm

I should think they would release it in an controlled water like a lake somewhere.Albert Park lake looks like it is only filled by storm water and would probably overflow to PPBay.

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 am

One of my friend just send me pictures from Burrumbeet where he spoted numerous of dead carps on the sand bank.. has the virus been release officially??

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 am

no those carp have been dying for a while now. was all over facebook a while back

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

From Bendigo Advertiser Jan 20. Another point of view.
THE Karen community has expressed concerns about a proposal to rid waterways of carp, saying many of its people’s diets include large amounts of the species caught in the region.

Sei Sei Mu Thein, president of the Karen Organisation of Bendigo, said many Karen families frequently went fishing – and “99 per cent” of what they caught was carp.
“People go fishing whenever they can,” she said. 

“They go to Lake Eppalock, Kerang, the Murray River.”
Fish featured in many dishes and catching carp was a cheap alternative to buying fish, Ms Thein said.

“We eat a lot of fish. I know people can buy it from the supermarket, but fishing’s also part of the lifestyle – a way to interact with people.”
An introduced species, carp has been identified as a major contributor to the decline in native fish numbers. 

A coalition of Australia’s biggest fishing, farming and green groups are lobbying the government to use “biological controls”, including a known fatal virus, to dramatically reduce the number of carp – a feral species – in
The virus, Koi herpesvirus, from Europe, has been the subject of CSIRO research since 2007. 
Steve Charles, Bendigo and District Fly Flying Fishing Club committee member, said earlier this month that he was “cautious but optimistic” about the virus proposal.
“We would hate to see anything detrimental to the ecosystem or fish stocks come from a biological solution to the carp problem (but) we’re somewhat comforted that the CSIRO has been studying this,” he said.
The federal government has not said whether it plans to implement such measures to tackle issues carp cause in waterways.
Bendigo Karen community member Eh Keh said he went fishing at least once a week – and more when time permitted it. 

On average, he catches about 15 carp each time he sets out.
“It helps us financially. We still buy other food, but instead of buying fish, we can freeze what we’ve caught and have it ready to go.”
Mr Keh said he would have to accept whatever the government’s decision was on the matter, but hoped he would still be able to catch some carp without his health being affected.

Eh Keh with Mu and Jai.
“If the government tries to kill them, we don’t have any power. We won’t be able to go fishing regularly,” he said. “If there’s any left, we will keep trying. But I’m a little a bit worried because I don’t know what the (virus) could do tTHE Karen community has expressed concerns about a proposal to rid waterways of carp, saying many of its people’s diets include large amounts of the species caught in the region.

Sei Sei Mu Thein, president of the Karen Organisation of Bendigo, said many Karen families frequently went fishing – and “99 per cent” of what they caught was carp.

Fish featured in many dishes and catching carp was a cheap alternative to buying fish, Ms Thein said.

“We eat a lot of fish. I know people can buy it from the supermarket, but fishing’s also part of the lifestyle – a way to interact with people.”
An introduced species, carp has been identified as a major contributor to the decline in native fish numbers. 

A coalition of Australia’s biggest fishing, farming and green groups are lobbying the government to use “biological controls”, including a known fatal virus, to dramatically reduce the number of carp – a feral species –

The virus, Koi herpesvirus, from Europe, has been the subject of CSIRO research since 2007. 
Steve Charles, Bendigo and District Fly Flying Fishing Club committee member, said earlier this month that he was “cautious but optimistic” about the virus proposal.
“We would hate to see anything detrimental to the ecosystem or fish stocks come from a biological solution to the carp problem (but) we’re somewhat comforted that the CSIRO has been studying this,” he said.
The federal government has not said whether it plans to implement such measures to tackle issues carp cause in waterways.
Bendigo Karen community member Eh Keh said he went fishing at least once a week – and more when time permitted it. 

“It helps us financially. We still buy other food, but instead of buying fish, we can freeze what we’ve caught and have it ready to go.”
Mr Keh said he would have to accept whatever the government’s decision was on the matter, but hoped he would still be able to catch some carp without his health being affected.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:26 pm

The Karen community? Never seen so many of the same typo haha. So the bendigo's kORean community eat carp?? Well I'll b..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:48 pm

malleestump wrote:From Bendigo Advertiser Jan 20. Another point of view.
THE Karen community has expressed concerns about a proposal to rid waterways of carp, saying many of its people’s diets include large amounts of the species caught in the region.

Sei Sei Mu Thein, president of the Karen Organisation of Bendigo, said many Karen families frequently went fishing – and “99 per cent” of what they caught was carp.

“We eat a lot of fish. I know people can buy it from the supermarket, but fishing’s also part of the lifestyle – a way to interact with people.”

A coalition of Australia’s biggest fishing, farming and green groups are lobbying the government to use “biological controls”, including a known fatal virus, to dramatically reduce the number of carp – a feral species – in
The virus, Koi herpesvirus, from Europe, has been the subject of CSIRO research since 2007.
Steve Charles, Bendigo and District Fly Flying Fishing Club committee member, said earlier this month that he was “cautious but optimistic” about the virus proposal.
“We would hate to see anything detrimental to the ecosystem or fish stocks come from a biological solution to the carp problem (but) we’re somewhat comforted that the CSIRO has been studying this,” he said.
The federal government has not said whether it plans to implement such measures to tackle issues carp cause in waterways.
Bendigo Karen community member Eh Keh said he went fishing at least once a week – and more when time permitted it. 

“It helps us financially. We still buy other food, but instead of buying fish, we can freeze what we’ve caught and have it ready to go.”

Eh Keh with Mu and Jai.
“If the government tries to kill them, we don’t have any power. We won’t be able to go fishing regularly,” he said. “If there’s any left, we will keep trying. But I’m a little a bit worried because I don’t know what the (virus) could do tTHE Karen community has expressed concerns about a proposal to rid waterways of carp, saying many of its people’s diets include large amounts of the species caught in the region.

******* lol
I had to check it wasn't an article from the Betoota Advocate or something.
BIG GAV wrote:The Karen community? Never seen so many of the same typo haha. So the bendigo's kORean community eat carp?? Well I'll b..
Not a typo, they're a group of people from Burma. A lot came here as part of a UN refugee program because their government at home kept trying to murder them.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Even if 70% of the carps died out they would still be catching carps!

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Let's say the virus was successful in eradicating carps. What would happen to the introduced virus once the carps are gone? Will they self-extinguish, or would they target other species? How to control the virus if and when it has done it's job? I'm a little scared.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:37 pm

sarsi wrote:Let's say the virus was successful in eradicating carps. What would happen to the introduced virus once the carps are gone? Will they self-extinguish, or would they target other species? How to control the virus if and when it has done it's job? I'm a little scared.
No, unless it mutates and becomes able to infect other species. Which is pretty unlikely.

Viruses can only reproduce in living cells. They usually only target specific types of cell because to get inside a cell the outer layer of a virus particle needs to match a specific type of receptor on the surface of the target cell. For example, HIV not only can only affect humans, it only targets a small selection of cells in the body, not all of them.

Viruses don't last forever, any carp herpes virus particles left in the water would eventually break down on their own accord, get washed out to sea or get buried in sediment.

Because this virus has been a major headache for the aquaculture industry it will have been pretty well researched and scientists will have a fair idea of what happens when all the carp it infected in an area die off, and how long the virus persists afterwards.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:24 pm

there's evidence that other species may be able to carry the virus but they carry it asymptomatically, ie don't show any signs of disease

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”