Carp Virus

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Carp Virus

Post by Redhunter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:12 pm

Has the introduction of a virus actually worked to eradicate anything?
Lol...calicivirus type 5! The last 4 versions didn't work, but hey, maybe number 5 will. Seriously? It's not the right answer to the problem imo. I'm convinced carp and rabbits will still be around for a long time to come...

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Fishing them out should be promoted more, I agree with what's been mentioned virus will surely mutate it often does.. Would be great but in reality it seems more of a pipe dream than a solution
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Redhunter wrote:Has the introduction of a virus actually worked to eradicate anything?
Lol...calicivirus type 5! The last 4 versions didn't work, but hey, maybe number 5 will. Seriously? It's not the right answer to the problem imo. I'm convinced carp and rabbits will still be around for a long time to come...
It is very difficult for a virus/pathogen to completely wipe something out because as more and more carp or whatever die it will be harder for the virus to be transmitted to another carp. The reason being pockets of carp will end up isolated and hardly ever encounter other carp so the virus stops spreading. Another reason is that something that kills a lot of something very quickly will result in virus resistant populations forming. I'm pretty sure both of these happened with rabbits so it never completely eradicated them, but it did reduce the numbers considerably which is a good thing. Even if carp herpes only kills off 20% of them it would be a great outcome for our waterways (until some course fisho starts vaccinating them).
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm

You make some good points there 4litres.
I'm all for getting rid of the things, and if a virus is the only way to make a decent dent in the population, they should be concentrating on the reproductive side of things imo. That way not killing them as such, but they would decline in population to a point where other species can get a better chance to over run them over time. Can you imagine the mess a kill-off could create in some of our drought struck waterways that are already struggling for water quality? Hmm...

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Are they sure it won't spread to native fish species at all, I'm very wary of introducing something especially if there's no guarantee that it won't spread to other species and wipe them out.. They certainly stuffed up with the cane toad and it didn't eat the beetles that it was supposed to eradicate, but it has wiped out a lot of native wildlife.. Just my thoughts on introducing things..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Brett

Post by Brett » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:46 am

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:26 pm

all these articles claim that the virus "cannot infect any other form of life", however a brief google search brings these two publications for starters:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23121232
In the present study, different wild fish species taken from carp ponds with a history of KHV infection were examined for their susceptibility to the virus. In the tissue of these fish, the virus load was determined and it was tested whether a release of the virus could be induced by stress and the virus then could be transferred to naive carp. Wild fish were gathered from carp ponds during acute outbreaks of virus-induced mortality in summer and from ponds stocked with carp carrying a latent KHV infection. From these ponds, wild fish were collected during the harvesting process in autumn or spring when the ponds were drained. We found that regardless of season, temperature variation, age and infection status of the carp stock, wild fish from carp ponds and its outlets could be tested positive for the KHV genome using real-time PCR with a low prevalence and virus load.
http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/Article.aspx ... eSupport=1
Our results showed that CyHV-3 was present in the organs of these fish species and also in organs of naive carp after two weeks in cohabitation, suggesting that CyHV-3 may cause latent infection, and also that has a potential to infect a broader host range than it was believed before.
it is a scary thought that CSIRO could be pushing their own agenda here

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Did you look at the wild fish species studied in the articles you cite? They're all either non-native (to Australia) or related to carp, or both.
Chances are the environmental scientists proposing this are motivated by a desire to protect native fish and have tested this pretty well before this point.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:07 pm

this claim comes directly from the CSIRO web site:
Current research has also shown that the virus does not develop in native Australian or any other introduced species of fish.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:23 pm

I'd say that's probably correct given the first paper the you've linked seems to suggest that the virus levels detected in non-carp species were too low to be a clinical infection.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”