If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Carp Virus

Post by 4liters » Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Not gonna stop them catching it from a toilet seat though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Fri May 06, 2016 7:49 pm

davek wrote:
carp.PNG

When you get a big school of them together is that what they call a condominium?
;-)

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Whiskers wrote:
davek wrote:
carp.PNG

When you get a big school of them together is that what they call a condominium?
;-)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 06, 2016 8:12 pm

davek wrote:
carp.PNG
Lol that's a good one!!! :rofl:

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Sat May 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Broomstick wrote:You've contradicted yourself here. If carp are bottom feeders and roach are not, they obviously fill different ecological niches and won't be in direct competition. Introducing roach would do absolutely nothing to reduce the carp population.
no contradiction. if roach intercepted just 50% of food that otherwise would be consumed by carp by feeding in the water column and off the bottom, that would effectively halve the carp population.
carp is not and never has been dominant species in Europe. one of the big reasons why is biodiversity, an abundance of other species competing with the carp for food and space.

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sat May 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Bob Nudd wrote:
Broomstick wrote:You've contradicted yourself here. If carp are bottom feeders and roach are not, they obviously fill different ecological niches and won't be in direct competition. Introducing roach would do absolutely nothing to reduce the carp population.
no contradiction. if roach intercepted just 50% of food that otherwise would be consumed by carp by feeding in the water column and off the bottom, that would effectively halve the carp population.
Are you sure it wouldn't lead to the same population of carp, yet a smaller average size? Just a thought with my limited knowledge! After all, I'm not a marine biologist!
cheers
Jim

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Good hopefully it wipes out but leaves our natives alone

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 pm

i know of waters which contain both carp and roach. the roach have little to no impact on the carp population in these waters. most roach are lucky to be a tenth the size of your mid size carp.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun May 08, 2016 8:24 am

Roach have been in the Murray-Darling Basin since at least the 1920s. They were introduced into Eildon in the 1970s and developed into a big population until European carp arrived and then declined. They have also declined in the Yarra since carp turned up. Based on that evidence roach can't outcompete carp, for whatever reason, e.g. reproductive capacity.

The closest native fish to carp as a competitor are catfish. They declined in some areas after carp arrived but the truth is much of their decline predates the carp explosion, at least in Victoria. To some extent silver perch, Macquarie perch and Bony bream also are competitors with carp.

I am supportive of the introduction of the virus to control carp - there is little risk from the virus itself. What I am concerned about are some unintended consequences that from what I have seen have not been properly been thought through - population explosions of redfin and trout.

Redfin were in plague proportions in many areas before carp arrived and native fish were scarce. There is a huge amount of evidence that redfin are a major issue for native fish due to predation, competition, diseases, etc. After carp, redfin populations collapsed and native fish came back. There are some clear cut examples of this. Number 1, the Murray around Cobram. By 1970, trout cod were rare in the area and the fishing for Murray cod was not too good. Carp got to that area c1974. By 1980 small cod were turning up in numbers. The recovery of trout cod downstream of Yarrawonga is not due to stocking (they have never been stocked there) but again small trout cod started turned up in numbers after the redfin disappeared - the recovery has been entirely natural.

No 2., similarly in the 1970s Macquarie perch were rare in the Yarra. After carp arrived, redfin declined and Macquarie perch rebounded.

Carp probably impact on redfin by grazing the aquatic vegetation which redfin lay their eggs on. Carp have also have impacted on trout too. Remember, brown trout eggs incubate in gravel riffles and take about 3 months to hatch. That is a very long exposure to the grazing activities of carp. When I was a young small trout were in plague numbers in the creeks - after carp there was a decline. So I expect a rebound of trout in some areas once the carp are gone. This as a whole might be good for the trout fishery but won't be good for some endangered populations of native fish.

Do not get me wrong, I really do support the introduction of this virus. But I have seen nothing in the form of an integrated plan incorporating release points, control of redfin, stocking of native fish, etc. All of that should be in place and out for public comment before any ministerial sign off. Broad motherhood statements along the line of 'we will stock native fish to take the place of carp' are unacceptable.

There has to be a detailed plan which we need to be part of. I don't think we will be extended that courtesy.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Sun May 08, 2016 9:27 am

Better to be absolutely sure of what they doing....many species introduced to fight pest have become pest themselves i think i do not need to make a list of foxes and can toad .... :o_0:

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”