small reddies @ Sugarloaf

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: small reddies @ Sugarloaf

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm

guppie12 wrote:Lol, I caught my first reddie on Monday ant the loaf and it was 30cm lol and fat too :super:
Cheers
Probably full of small reddies too. Good effort bud!

hunsky

Post by hunsky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 pm

guppie12 wrote:Lol, I caught my first reddie on Monday ant the loaf and it was 30cm lol and fat too :super:
Cheers
congrats on the 1st reddie :a_goodjob: i caught my first there too.

I was there on monday as well, caught 5+ small ones on swimmer SP.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:40 pm

hunsky wrote:
Cheers
congrats on the 1st reddie :a_goodjob: i caught my first there too.

I was there on monday as well, caught 5+ small ones on swimmer SP.
Try a small red spinnerbait next time, or maybe jackalls and see if you can pick up a big fat ol' girl.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Just something to note: redfin are very similar to yellow perch found in the US. Perch tend to reproduce a lot and in a lake where there are no predators this results in stunting, as you have a ton of them competing for resources. I'm not necessarily suggesting eating them but culling the smaller ones would improve the overall size if done enough. Maybe use them for fertilizing flower beds?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:53 pm

I've heard similar about bluegills in the US too, when they want a population to consist of bigger fish they stock their ponds with a couple of large mouth bass which thin out the smaller fish and allow the survivors to grow bigger.

Maybe the answer is a clandestine cod stocking program at Sugarloaf lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:07 pm

tropicalfisher wrote:Just something to note: redfin are very similar to yellow perch found in the US. Perch tend to reproduce a lot and in a lake where there are no predators this results in stunting, as you have a ton of them competing for resources. I'm not necessarily suggesting eating them but culling the smaller ones would improve the overall size if done enough. Maybe use them for fertilizing flower beds?
Good in theory but anglers dont take enough to make a difference

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

20150424_144010.jpg
I think my second biggest outta the loaf.

I've heard of bigger in there but I've seen no proof. Cod stocking is something we can hope for but they're very likely to get smashed by the baito brigade and their 50lb mono setlines.

willow17

Post by willow17 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Fished Sugarloaf a bit as its pretty local and have been amazed with the number of small reddies i see. You can her them when you walk the banks as the school attack smaller fish in the shallows a pretty cool sight to see.

Would love to see some Cod stocked in there, they could have the potential to grow huge with the amount of food in the lake. But doubt it will ever happen from fisheries. Would also love to see a consistent stocking of the Yarra as its clearly able to sustain populations of murray cod. Even if its a few thousand fingerlings a year.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 pm

laneends wrote:
tropicalfisher wrote:Just something to note: redfin are very similar to yellow perch found in the US. Perch tend to reproduce a lot and in a lake where there are no predators this results in stunting, as you have a ton of them competing for resources. I'm not necessarily suggesting eating them but culling the smaller ones would improve the overall size if done enough. Maybe use them for fertilizing flower beds?
Good in theory but anglers dont take enough to make a difference
I think they can make a difference if fished often enough. If that weren't the case, you wouldn't have bodies of water which are fished out by anglers.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 am

willow17 wrote:Fished Sugarloaf a bit as its pretty local and have been amazed with the number of small reddies i see. You can her them when you walk the banks as the school attack smaller fish in the shallows a pretty cool sight to see.

Would love to see some Cod stocked in there, they could have the potential to grow huge with the amount of food in the lake. But doubt it will ever happen from fisheries. Would also love to see a consistent stocking of the Yarra as its clearly able to sustain populations of murray cod. Even if its a few thousand fingerlings a year.
it's not fisheries' call anymore or the place would be full of trout by now. It's a water reservoir and falls under the management of the utilities company.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”