Goulburn access at hume hwy

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Goulburn access at hume hwy

Post by laneends » Sun May 28, 2017 12:37 pm

I have seen someone fishing here off the sand spit, and google earth shows some kind of track off freeway, hard to spot driving by. Has anyone fished here and what is the access like, public/private, 4wd only?? What would the river flow be like for launching a kayak/

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Goulburn access at hume hwy

Post by davek » Sun May 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Always going to fish it and never have. I think access is ok but a vehicle with good clearance would be better. On Monday I saw scaffolding on the bridge supports so there will be workmen there for a while I'd say, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

laneends

Post by laneends » Sun May 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Meant to scout it out last time I was on my way back from Nagambie, but missed it, turn off is hard to spot. Could a 2wd be parked at the top and walked down?

davek

Post by davek » Sun May 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I haven't looked that closely but it seems that you could from looking at google, cheers davo

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 28, 2017 5:21 pm

If travelling north on the hume, take the Puckapunyal/Seymour turn off, turn right towards Seymour and take the next road on the left Northwood road, this is the old highway and goes to where the old bridge used to be. Good access and if you walk downstream there is big rock bar that shows up when the river level is low.

laneends

Post by laneends » Sun May 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:If travelling north on the hume, take the Puckapunyal/Seymour turn off, turn right towards Seymour and take the next road on the left Northwood road, this is the old highway and goes to where the old bridge used to be. Good access and if you walk downstream there is big rock bar that shows up when the river level is low.
Yep seen that spot at the end of the "camping reserve". Problem is I am looking for kayaking spots and thats between some impassable sections

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm

laneends wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:If travelling north on the hume, take the Puckapunyal/Seymour turn off, turn right towards Seymour and take the next road on the left Northwood road, this is the old highway and goes to where the old bridge used to be. Good access and if you walk downstream there is big rock bar that shows up when the river level is low.
Yep seen that spot at the end of the "camping reserve". Problem is I am looking for kayaking spots and thats between some impassable sections
Ok there are options such as Majors Creek or Tawool . Or you can launch at The Esplanade or the end of Telegraph road.

davek

Post by davek » Sun May 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
laneends wrote:
Ok there are options such as Majors Creek or Tawool . Or you can launch at The Esplanade or the end of Telegraph road.
Access is no problem but that section of river is pretty low at the moment. cheers davo

laneends

Post by laneends » Sun May 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:[
Yep majors creek is a good one, was there last week. Trawool that would be both either near the highway bridge or down by the camp site on greenslopes rd. End of telegraph is a new one for me. Have launched at the park at the Esplanade. Good section with a deep hole just before the bridge, but cant get far upstream before it runs too fast. Downstream current gets borderline near the creek junction. Heaven forbid if you ended up in the rapids below there..

Upstream of Seymour seems to favour a one way trip with a car shuffle due to potential fast sections.

Would it be a fair assumption that seymour is approximately the boundary between trout and cod territory??

Thanks guys for your suggestions

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon May 29, 2017 6:22 am

If I recall correctly, they use to have a raft race launching at the Trawool Bridge ending at the Park on the river.

There are river access spots behind the Pubs,

Drive along Telegraph road and there is a gate that you need to open to get access, it goes right down to the river. There some deep sections here.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”