Float fishing and circle hooks

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Float fishing and circle hooks

Post by TheNix » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Over the last year or so I've been changing from my usual J hooks to circle hook because I almost always catch and release, and I want to maximise the fishes chance of survival (cannot say I've seen a difference in the amount of gut hooking but that's another story). Other than having difficulty overcoming the want to strike to set the hook, this change is going fairly well other than when I'm fishing under a float. I have used worms, maggots and mudeyes under a float using circle hooks and I have just to have had a successful hook-up, lots of bites but no hook-ups. Do circle hooks work well under floats or am I just being unlucky?

rodderslw

Re: Float fishing and circle hooks

Post by rodderslw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm

TheNix wrote:Over the last year or so I've been changing from my usual J hooks to circle hook because I almost always catch and release, and I want to maximise the fishes chance of survival (cannot say I've seen a difference in the amount of gut hooking but that's another story). Other than having difficulty overcoming the want to strike to set the hook, this change is going fairly well other than when I'm fishing under a float. I have used worms, maggots and mudeyes under a float using circle hooks and I have just to have had a successful hook-up, lots of bites but no hook-ups. Do circle hooks work well under floats or am I just being unlucky?
I would have thought you need some tension or the rod to load up for the circle hook to do its work and pin the fish in the mouth. If using a float this may be harder....unless the resistance of the float is enough to set the hook. I would think a normal hook would be better.for a float..anyway a key benefit of a float is to indicate a bite so you can strike straight away thus hopefully avoid gut hooking.

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 am

I use Owner mutu light circles under float for trout, redfin and carp. The majority of bites result in hook ups. I try to keep too much slack out of the line and assume the drag of the float and also the wet line through the water between float and rod is enough to pin the point before the rod loads up for a full set.
Mainline is usually braid too, mono stretch may have an impact.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 am

If youre still gut hooking on circles then go bigger

Whoever said you cant catch small fish on big hooks, is flat out wrong. I regularly jaw hook undersized flathead and pinkies on 8/0 gama circles

TheNix

Post by TheNix » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks for your replies, I thought it might have something to to with the amount of slack from rod tip to the float; I suppose a big arsed float might help as well, but not the way I fish. I've never liked using larger hooks in freshwater, I don't own a single hook above Size 2, you can never get the bait to sit right on a large hook.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Sounds like you are targeting trout predominantly? I would just crush the barb on the hook your accustomed with - it really makes hook removal quick and smooth however deep. No hard data studies but general online consensus (+personal experience) is barbless doesn't really impact loss rates when reeling fish in.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Float setup???
If you line is fixed to the float there is a greater chance of the fish spitting the bait once it feels the weight / drag of the float.
Option ...1
My rig, Egg float with removable hollow stem in centre to allow water to be added to assist casting, remove centre tube / add water ?? / replace centre tube, thread line through float centre tube, attach hook, decide how deep you want to set the bait, attach 5 or 6 mm cube of cork to the line between the float and the hook to set the bait depth.
Cork acts as float.
option...2
Exactly as above except that I add a bean sinker above the Egg float.
Now the fun starts:
If fishing a stream, decide where you want your bait to sit in the stream and cast 10 to 20 feet above your selected spot, let out line so that the sinker can hit the bottom, when sinker has stopped, now let out enough line to allow the float to raise to the surface then let out additional line to position float.
Lake - Same except float will not move far without a breeze // Ideal for lake fishing when casting into the wind

Killer method at Eucumbene when trout feeding on surface a long way out.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:55 pm

TheNix wrote:Over the last year or so I've been changing from my usual J hooks to circle hook because I almost always catch and release, and I want to maximise the fishes chance of survival (cannot say I've seen a difference in the amount of gut hooking but that's another story). Other than having difficulty overcoming the want to strike to set the hook, this change is going fairly well other than when I'm fishing under a float. I have used worms, maggots and mudeyes under a float using circle hooks and I have just to have had a successful hook-up, lots of bites but no hook-ups. Do circle hooks work well under floats or am I just being unlucky?
float fishing check out how the poms do it its called course angling most of my float fishing is for garfish i use a waggler float with say 10 to 14 chemically sharpened long shank hook i dont gut hook many fish at all key is to strike as soon as the float moves i use maggots or silverfish

TheNix

Post by TheNix » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:06 am

When float fishing I tend to use course techniques with a 13' float rod, light line, small chemically sharpened hooks and, depending on the conditions, the depth I want to fish, etc., I use either waggler or clear egg floats with appropriate split shots for weight. I think where the problem might arise is that I tend to have the float on a fairly tight rein, with little or no play in them.

@russellh2 , I like the sound of option 2 in lakes, but I've still got to get the correct hook.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:17 pm

When you floatfish you have to have the rod in hand or very near. Its only if you leave the bite that you get gut hooked fish. I put everything back and thats one of the reasons I like float fishing, also im a lazy b@stard so hate constant lure casting.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”