Lake Eildon

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Lake Eildon

Post by Joker91 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello all :cheers:

Hope you have all been good. My visits here have been as about as frequent as my visits to the water :down:

Gladly enough, I will be taking out all of the gear for the Australia Day long weekend chasing freshwater fish at Lake Eildon. I will be spending the weekend there so I am looking for tips on land based locations and how to fish fresh water. I have also attached a picture of whereabouts I will be staying to make things easier.

Gear:
I will be using three light rods that I use in Port Phillip bay for whiting and flat head (I know it's not ideal, but can I still use these rods in fresh water?)
Kato Fluorocarbon leader 7.9lb

Fish Targeting:
Zero care factor to what we catch. Don't get me wrong, I would rather something with a purpose that is edible however carp are welcomed for a bit of fun. So I would prefer my fishing tactics to be generalised to be able to catch all potential fish if possible.

Bait:
From what I have gathered a mixture of worms and corns is good also I have power bait for trout.
What other potential baits could be used that will broaden the spectrum of fish that we could catch?

Line set up:
I'm assuming a standard paternoster rig, running sinker and having a floating would be the three options.
I was planning to have all three rods set up differently to target everything.
What I need to know is what size hooks and sinkers I should use and any other details.

Burley:
Apparently a mixture of bread, corn and tuna oil work as good burley. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance :water:
Attachments
IMG_1833.JPG

Robbo94

Re: Lake Eildon

Post by Robbo94 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Joker91 wrote:Hello all :cheers:

Hope you have all been good. My visits here have been as about as frequent as my visits to the water :down:

Gladly enough, I will be taking out all of the gear for the Australia Day long weekend chasing freshwater fish at Lake Eildon. I will be spending the weekend there so I am looking for tips on land based locations and how to fish fresh water. I have also attached a picture of whereabouts I will be staying to make things easier.

Gear:
I will be using three light rods that I use in Port Phillip bay for whiting and flat head (I know it's not ideal, but can I still use these rods in fresh water?)
Kato Fluorocarbon leader 7.9lb

Fish Targeting:
Zero care factor to what we catch. Don't get me wrong, I would rather something with a purpose that is edible however carp are welcomed for a bit of fun. So I would prefer my fishing tactics to be generalised to be able to catch all potential fish if possible.

Bait:
From what I have gathered a mixture of worms and corns is good also I have power bait for trout.
What other potential baits could be used that will broaden the spectrum of fish that we could catch?

Line set up:
I'm assuming a standard paternoster rig, running sinker and having a floating would be the three options.
I was planning to have all three rods set up differently to target everything.
What I need to know is what size hooks and sinkers I should use and any other details.

Burley:
Apparently a mixture of bread, corn and tuna oil work as good burley. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance :water:

Looks like you will be camping at “the pines”, it is a great place to camp. I head there quite regularly dirt bike riding but try my luck at fishing there aswell.
The difficulty I have found with fishing from the bank there is that it is the shallow side of that particular arm and in this kind of heat the fish aren’t to willing to go into such warm water.

The advise I can offer is to drive all the way to the point where the 3 arms meet and look for the steep banks. There have general produced fish for me. If possible get yourself some yabbies and I like to put them on a float with a long dropper and let them drift towards any structure I can find.

Good luck though, you will have a great time up there but be a little bit prepared for a lot of people there.

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm

What do you mean where the arms meet? And what size hook?

I guess there goes that hope for peace and quiet . We'll still make the most of it and if we catch something it's a bonus.

Thank you for the advice though I appreciate it

Robbo94

Post by Robbo94 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Joker91 wrote:What do you mean where the arms meet? And what size hook?

I guess there goes that hope for peace and quiet . We'll still make the most of it and if we catch something it's a bonus.

Thank you for the advice though I appreciate it
Follow the main road “pine-plantation road” all the way down to the point, you can’t miss it, youll see straight away all 3 sections of the lake meeting there

Hook depends on what bait your using. I like using size 6 long shank hooks if I’m using yabbies because I can hide the hook well but also make sure the bait isnt coming off.
Attachments
D28A754F-856F-4B19-A6E0-4D029CC434FB.jpeg

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Dam, 40 minute drive to that point. I was hoping the furthest I would I have to drive would be five minutes hahaha. But I will be sure to fish there and let you know how I go.

What other advice could you provide. Is the leader I plan to use ok? And what other bait?

Thank you again

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm

You are only allowed to have 2 rods per person so be careful

Robbo94

Post by Robbo94 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Joker91 wrote:Dam, 40 minute drive to that point. I was hoping the furthest I would I have to drive would be five minutes hahaha. But I will be sure to fish there and let you know how I go.

What other advice could you provide. Is the leader I plan to use ok? And what other bait?

Thank you again

I always camp closer to the point because you miss a lot of the crowd the further you go in. If your into lures and soft plastics you can just got flicking between the trees during sunrise and sunset anywhere on the lake.
I’m no expert so I’m gonna say your leader is fine.
I generally stick with the yabbies and soft plastics

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you every one who replied.

We had a very successful weekend reeling in 20+ carp and one tiny reddie.

Im sure everyone does hate carp but I can honestly say that I enjoyed fishing for them.

All in all it was a great weekend !!!!!

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Here's a picture of a few of the carps
Attachments
IMG_1873.JPG

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Joker91 wrote:Thank you every one who replied.

We had a very successful weekend reeling in 20+ carp and one tiny reddie.

Im sure everyone does hate carp but I can honestly say that I enjoyed fishing for them.

All in all it was a great weekend !!!!!
Sounds like a top weekend.
Nice session :thumbsup:

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”