Fishing in Loddon River near Newstead

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Timbo3354

Fishing in Loddon River near Newstead

Post by Timbo3354 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Hello folks

Went for a drive from Ballarat to Maldon at the weekend for a pie a the Maldon Barkey. Noticed a bit of water in the Loddon at Newstead. Is it worth having a fish there?

Brownie

Re: Fishing in Loddon River near Newstead

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah, not what it used to be though. Just doesn't run like it used to years ago. Not enough rain like the catchment used to get and too many sucking water out if it up stream these days. Park near the bridge and if your prepared to walk there are some OK pools upstream. Trout and reddies.

Timbo3354

Post by Timbo3354 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks Brownie

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am

Brownie wrote:Yeah, not what it used to be though. Just doesn't run like it used to years ago. Not enough rain like the catchment used to get and too many sucking water out if it up stream these days. Park near the bridge and if your prepared to walk there are some OK pools upstream. Trout and reddies.
Thanks for that info Brownie. Are there better spots up stream or down stream of the bridge?

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am

Timbo3354 wrote:Hello folks

Went for a drive from Ballarat to Maldon at the weekend for a pie a the Maldon Barkey. Noticed a bit of water in the Loddon at Newstead. Is it worth having a fish there?
How were the pies?

Timbo3354

Post by Timbo3354 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Maldon pies are bloody brilliant...old school!

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Upstream is my pick. My Dad lived there, passed away several years ago, and would often fish that stretch up from the bridge. You can access another section by driving up the cemetery road and just after you pass the last of the houses on the river side you go through a sweeping sort of S bend. As you go through it, the bend with steep hillsides on your left, on the river side, right, you can see its not fenced. A bit overgrown but you can get in there. Upstream from there is good too. That spot, and this is roughly guessing, would see you about a k or thereabouts upstream from the bridge. My Dad used to catch some nice trout there. :-D Clear as mud bush directions. Watch for snakes though, like most places on riversides they are there.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Brownie wrote:Upstream is my pick. My Dad lived there, passed away several years ago, and would often fish that stretch up from the bridge. You can access another section by driving up the cemetery road and just after you pass the last of the houses on the river side you go through a sweeping sort of S bend. As you go through it, the bend with steep hillsides on your left, on the river side, right, you can see its not fenced. A bit overgrown but you can get in there. Upstream from there is good too. That spot, and this is roughly guessing, would see you about a k or thereabouts upstream from the bridge. My Dad used to catch some nice trout there. :-D Clear as mud bush directions. Watch for snakes though, like most places on riversides they are there.
That’s great info, thanks for sharing, I really appreciate the help. Might have a go back his Friday if time allows. I’ll let you know when I get round to it.
Timbo3354 wrote:Maldon pies are bloody brilliant...old school!

I’ll have to give them a go soon. Have you tried the pies at the corner store in Guildford? They’re great. They also sell a few pies from elsewhere so you gotta ask and make sure you are getting their homemade ones.

Timbo3354

Post by Timbo3354 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks for the detail Brownie. I might give it a go this weekend.

Will check out the honemade pies at Guildford Thomassss.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”