Devilbend reservoir

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Jucfishing

Devilbend reservoir

Post by Jucfishing » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi everyone, I’m going on a trip down to Mount Martha over the long weekend and have been looking at a few spots. I am thinking about giving Devilbend res a try, but I’m not really sure how to approach fishing it. Anything appreciated :thumbsup:

fishmagnet

Re: Devilbend reservoir

Post by fishmagnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm

just walk the bank and cast little soft plastics and hardbodies, you should pick up some EP's and may some Reddies or a trout if you're lucky. if you're fishing around sunrise or sunset I'd give some surface lures a run. bring some waders or come prepared to wade out a bit as sometimes the weed buils up close to shore making it hard to fish. good Luck

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 pm

fishmagnet wrote:just walk the bank and cast little soft plastics and hardbodies, you should pick up some EP's and may some Reddies or a trout if you're lucky. if you're fishing around sunrise or sunset I'd give some surface lures a run. bring some waders or come prepared to wade out a bit as sometimes the weed buils up close to shore making it hard to fish. good Luck
Thanks for the info! Hope I catch some fish :r :water:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Follow the signs too. Its been an ongoing behind the scenes shitfight with green groups for decades so the less people stuffing up legal access the better.

Find pockets that don't contain weed and fish them, everywhere else wade out. Waders won't be necessary with the weather, banks are soft underwater but you don't sink any deeper than your ankle at worst. Pink tassies if you want trout/reddies, diving hardbodys and surface lures at dusk for Eps. Gates close off the entrance around 7pm, but you can exit over the spring loaded spikes if staying late

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 pm

I haven't had much luck during daylight. In the evening you'll see EPs -- well, I assume they're EPs -- surfacing to feed.

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:53 am

cobby wrote:Follow the signs too. Its been an ongoing behind the scenes shitfight with green groups for decades so the less people stuffing up legal access the better.

Find pockets that don't contain weed and fish them, everywhere else wade out. Waders won't be necessary with the weather, banks are soft underwater but you don't sink any deeper than your ankle at worst. Pink tassies if you want trout/reddies, diving hardbodys and surface lures at dusk for Eps. Gates close off the entrance around 7pm, but you can exit over the spring loaded spikes if staying late
Thanks! Just wondering, is the jetty on the eastern side of the western arm worth fishing? :thumbsup:

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:05 am

Because of the weed, you might want to consider going with a heavier leader. EPS will bury you in it pretty quick and be hard to get out so you might need to fish with a tighter drag. Most of the bank on the eastern side of the fishing zone has a gentle slope but is a bit muddy. It’s easy enough wade out and cast over the weed or fish between weed patches. Watch out for snakes too!

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”