Changes to yabby nets

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
one2three

Re: Changes to yabby nets

Post by one2three » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Still learning the ropes and I have one of these net http://www.aabio.com.au/new/wp-content/ ... op-net.jpg

Do I need to do the swap?
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm

one2three wrote:Hi Guys,

Still learning the ropes and I have one of these net http://www.aabio.com.au/new/wp-content/ ... op-net.jpg

Do I need to do the swap?
No mate your good
Oprahouse nets allow the rat or platypus in, but, they can't get out, and drown
Why there're allowed to be sold, is beyond me
Cheers Gra

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Has anyone used the new style nets? Mine will be going for a swim soon. I have seen youtube vids of the nets being used successfully on larger yabbies but I wonder if the smaller ones that I am after will get stuck in the mesh?

Lately my bait traps I use have been struggling to hold in the current. The new ones will solve this problem me thinks!
Cheers
Team Bender
A big fan of crustaceans!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:37 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 pm
Has anyone used the new style nets? Mine will be going for a swim soon. I have seen youtube vids of the nets being used successfully on larger yabbies but I wonder if the smaller ones that I am after will get stuck in the mesh?

Lately my bait traps I use have been struggling to hold in the current. The new ones will solve this problem me thinks!
Cheers
Team Bender
A big fan of crustaceans!

I think a lot of the smaller bait size ones will get out, if you can lift it quick enough though, you should be able to keep a few. I haven't tried it in any successful water yet, but it is a large mesh, so thinking a lot of the little ones will escape.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I gave one of them a go yesterday. I think, as previously mentioned, that some small yabbies may escape. On saying that, I got a couple smaller yabbies in the net and another nearby net I had (standard bait trap, but with different bait) did not get me many small yabbies anyway so there is some uncertainty. What I do like about the new lift nets, they will hold in current better and therefore I can get them into places where they will hold the bottom whereas the normal bait traps 'roll' over. I have had more luck in deeper water this year chasing yabbies and shrimp. Got a few larger shrimp in the net as well. I thought about adding shade cloth to the base of the net to prevent small yabbies dropping out. I realise now this will create a lot of drag and will be difficult to retrieve in stronger currents.

I assume the purpose of these nets is too catch a feed of large yabbies and prevent the loss of other animals...it no doubt achieves this. And another thing...check the regs for waters where you can use these nets. Many of my local waters such as the Goulburn and its tributaries as well as Waranga Basin are off limits for this net. It may have something to do with crays being present in the waters.
nets.JPG
cheers
Team Bender
Yabbie tormentor!

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”