If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
fishguy12

Re: Fairly new to freshwater fishing

Post by fishguy12 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 am

Harcourt revivor is also a good place, and Welshman's Reef I also like

ChuckH

Post by ChuckH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Redhunter wrote:Being only a stone throw away from Cairn Curran, you have easy access to one great fishery. Many a PB has been caught from this lake in years gone by, including 10lb+ trout, 2kg+ reddies, 10kg+ yellas, and the odd cod. There's no shortage of carp either.

I might kick myself later for giving away this tip, but a word of advice...some time over the next month or 2, the yellas are going to go nuts. I'm talking about footballs. Some fish pushing over 20lb in weight. You will see a few yocals very soon start putting in all-nighters with yabbies cast out with the aid of surf rods, in order to get baits out as far as possible and as close to the ol' river bed as they can. Specifically the wall end of the lake. A trophy sized run of fish. It may only last a few days, but it will happen. Mark my words ;)
Cheers mate, I’m gonna hit up golden point reservoir and mccay reservoir as well, not even a 15 min drive to golden point for me..
I’ve been playing around with my rigs, today I got a selection of jig heads, lures, rubbers on weighted head, I put a small Jarvis Walker 2000 reel on my 7’ Shakespeare ugly custom, and she works pretty well.. went out and casted each head and lure 5-10 times, into and with the wind, did some accuracy shots, gave them all a good spin wrist cast and ya normal push pull flick, worked like a charm, I’m just worried about the line strength, it’s pretty thin I think it’s only 8lb, not sure could be less

ChuckH

Post by ChuckH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:03 pm

davek wrote:Welcome to the forum Chuck, cheers davo :thumbsup:
Cheers Davek, I love it, everyone’s willing to be patient for the noob, can’t say I’ve seen a better forum

ChuckH

Post by ChuckH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:00 am

I’m heading out to golden point, barkers and I was thinking mccay reservoir, does mccay even have fish?

Noony

Post by Noony » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 pm

you also have eppalock, and the river that runs out, then only an hour or so to the murray, try down stream of torrumbarry weir during summer, skiers and jets above, busy as but still fish there toward echuca. just go for it and explore. Good luck. Cairn Curran is hit miss when you find the key tell me. some days its on mostly not though, typical lake fishing. have you a boat if so watch carn curran can chop up easily when the north wind blows up

ChuckH

Post by ChuckH » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Cheers mate, yeah I’ve given myself a mental reboot about worrying driving ‘far’ to get to somewhere, I’ve only been in castlemaine for a year and a month so the city boy still runs most of my brain,
So to combat that, I made a list of about 50 or so different lakes, creeks, rivers, reservoirs and an estuary to the west and south west of me and to the north east covering almost every fishablr waterway between Eppalock And warnambool that I want to have a crack at

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”