Freshwater shrimp in winter.

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Freshwater shrimp in winter.

Post by April Fool » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi all
I read an article once where it stated that you can get shrimp in deeper water during the colder months. Has anyone tried this? I have picked up the odd one in winter when targeting other things but have never made an effort to target them.
Cheers
Team Crustacean!
Can't be stuffed digging worms!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Freshwater shrimp in winter.

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 pm

I just assumed they'd bury in and hibernate, much like yabbies. There's always one way to find out mate...give it a try and see ;)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:56 pm

April Fool wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm
Hi all
I read an article once where it stated that you can get shrimp in deeper water during the colder months. Has anyone tried this? I have picked up the odd one in winter when targeting other things but have never made an effort to target them.
Cheers
Team Crustacean!
Not sure about Shrimp Jim, but as far as crustaceans go, here in SA the Blue Crab season is normally in months with an "r" , , , , September to April. Now notwithstanding some stragglers to the season, they are normally seen as non existent in winter.

But here's the kicker, they are around out deeper for those willing to try and know where to go. I know of two blokes who catch them all year round and in decent numbers , , , , but out deep. So, Shrimp being crustaceans might (with what you have heard) be out deeper. Would like to hear how you go if you do give it a crack.

Cheers, Bug

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:01 pm

April Fool wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Cheers
Team Crustacean!

Here's a young Bugatti with a Sister Bugatti and a Dad Bugatti digging up worms in Port River SA :)
Digging Worms.PNG
Digging Worms.PNG (165.28 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

Cheers, Bug

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”