Freshwater Shrimp in Melbourne

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
solararrow94

Freshwater Shrimp in Melbourne

Post by solararrow94 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi all,

Whenever I've up the Murray River, I've put out a shrimp net and caught some to use as bait. I'm only used to catching them up there, but can I catch down in Melbourne? I've never tried and I'm just wondering if anyone has.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Freshwater Shrimp in Melbourne

Post by April Fool » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:09 am

I can't help you with the area in question but I can say this is not the time of the year for them....as in it is too cold. I am going to try soon here in northern Vic as I read an article that says you can get them in deeper water whilst it is cold. I am not brimming with confidence!

As for your area, I would wait to try in spring. If you don't get any suggestions for locations, best off trying creeks or rivers as opposed to lakes. As far as I know, I don't think shrimp appreciate polluted water so you will be better off trying the cleaner systems.
Cheers
Jim
Last edited by April Fool on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi mate,

I've caught them in the Yarra River around Templestowe by accident. Little buggers nip at my worm baits endlessly and sometimes they don't let go when I reel them in. There have been a couple of big busts around Templestowe with people being caught taking huge amounts of shrimp from the river. Finns Reserve is where I've encountered them the most and sometimes you'll see nets and traps etc in the more accessible fishing spots.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm

North of the divide are found the large freshwater shrimp with the long nippers - scientific name Macrobrachium. Jim these are the ones we catch and use for bait for cod, yellas, etc. My understanding is they go dormant in cold water, ie winter.

There is a smaller species, about an inch long, that lack the long nippers - scientific name Paratya. They are found on both sides of the divide and tolerate cooler conditions. While less active in winter they can be caught all year round in a bait trap. The best method to catch them when less active is by running a dip net or a frame lined with shade cloth through aquatic vegetation and drowned grass etc. You can pic up mudeyes this way too.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm
North of the divide are found the large freshwater shrimp with the long nippers - scientific name Macrobrachium. Jim these are the ones we catch and use for bait for cod, yellas, etc. My understanding is they go dormant in cold water, ie winter.

There is a smaller species, about an inch long, that lack the long nippers - scientific name Paratya. They are found on both sides of the divide and tolerate cooler conditions. While less active in winter they can be caught all year round in a bait trap. The best method to catch them when less active is by running a dip net or a frame lined with shade cloth through aquatic vegetation and drowned grass etc. You can pic up mudeyes this way too.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
These would be the ones I saw tonight. No luck trapping them however.

There were heaps of common galaxias and gudgeon as well, any idea what I should be doing to tempt a few of them into a bait trap?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm

There were heaps of common galaxias and gudgeon as well, any idea what I should be doing to tempt a few of them into a bait trap?
What I use is :
Minnows = dry cat food along with broken up bits of bread
Gudgeon = wet cat food (canned stuff)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm

What I use is :
Minnows = dry cat food along with broken up bits of bread
Gudgeon = wet cat food (canned stuff)
Cheers, I'll give it a go.

I was using freshwater mussel, bread and power bait lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”