Howqua River

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Howqua River

Post by croe04 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm

G'day all

Just got back from my hike up north, tough work and pretty cold but loved it none the less. Wasn't able to bring any fishing gear unfortunately
We spent a day or two along the Howqua river, specifically around sheepyard flat and 7 mile flat before heading up into the mountains. I sussed a few good sections of river around there and was wondering if there were any fish around? Looked pretty appealing and accessible to me.
Saw a bloke having a fish in the area one evening, would have had a chat to him but needed to get tents set up etc etc.. and he was gone once I was done.
Hopefully there are some fish in the area, looked really nice to me and i'm keen to go back.

cheers
Last edited by croe04 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Howqua River

Post by rb85 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Gday mate I’ve never been there but there used to be a tv series on ABC called a river somewhere on one episode they flyfished up that way and caught a few trout.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Yup, there's definitely trout there :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 pm

croe04 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm
G'day all

Just got back from my hike up north, tough work and pretty cold but loved it none the less. Wasn't able to bring any fishing gear unfortunately
We spent a day or two along the Howqua river, specifically around sheepyard flat and 7 mile flat before heading up into the mountains. I sussed a few good sections of river around there and was wondering if there were any fish around? Looked pretty appealing and accessible to me.
Saw a bloke having a fish in the area one evening, would have had a chat to him but needed to get tents set up etc etc.. and he was gone once I was done.
Hopefully there are some fish in the area, looked really nice to me and i'm keen to go back.

cheers
Caught a few trout at 7 mile flat.. if you have a 4wd pikes flat (can be found on google) is an excellent camp ground on the river, we much preferred pikes. From memory the tracks in from mt bulla to pikes are moderate rated so a stock 4wd will get you in there, will require mud terrains in wet weather though and a winch if going solo

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Me and a few guys from work go camping twice a year (our next trip is next weekend :tu: ) and i am looking at the Howqua river as our next destination early next year. Considering our current success rate of zero fish from 3 camping trips.. hopefully the Howqua will provide!
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:29 pm
Me and a few guys from work go camping twice a year (our next trip is next weekend :tu: ) and i am looking at the Howqua river as our next destination early next year. Considering our current success rate of zero fish from 3 camping trips.. hopefully the Howqua will provide!
We are planning to head out there the weekend after Australia Day long weekend (Friday to Monday), we did this last year and majority of the campsites we came across were empty.
My mate and I are very amateur fly fishos so we grabbed a punnet of scrubbies from the hunting store in Mansfield on the way in. Couldn’t pick up a trout on fly but we had good success casting unweighted worms ahead of likely looking spots. If we could pick up a few I’m sure you could too!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm

The howqa is a shadow off it's former self as a trout fishery.

There is still trout there but nothing like the numbers it use to be.

Bm

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”