Bait Rocket Launcher

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
jedgpz

Re: Bait Rocket Launcher

Post by jedgpz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Ha i was thinking - I wonder what would happen if he forgot to flip the bail :)

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Some fisherman a few years back used to use a large 'Potato cannon' (4 to 5 foot long).
It worked by wedging the sinker into a big spud, and using a thin wire trace for all the leader ( for anything that gets near the cannon or in the cannon ) / otherwise it would just melt your line upon firing it.
The bait/hook and so forth would be just loaded down the cannon on top of the potato wedged in the base of the cannon.

They would mount a cooker clicker/sparker on the end of the firing chamber, a quick spray or 2 of any flammable gas in a can into a 1 the way valve on the firing chamber / those things would fire out of eyesight !. Was great of a night, a foot long flame would be visible from the end of the cannon when firing it.
My mates one would fire stuff around 'at least' 1km away !~ . true !, although it was a bit overkill for firing sinkers and bait, it would of emptied a spool in seconds :lol:

They didn't look to convincing that you would be using them to launch bait/sinkers with spuds though, as the 'cannon fired' spuds could wipe out fish in the surf or rivers alone, not really legal !

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:41 pm

rixter wrote:Some fisherman a few years back used to use a large 'Potato cannon' (4 to 5 foot long).
It worked by wedging the sinker into a big spud, and using a thin wire trace for all the leader ( for anything that gets near the cannon or in the cannon ) / otherwise it would just melt your line upon firing it.
The bait/hook and so forth would be just loaded down the cannon on top of the potato wedged in the base of the cannon.

They would mount a cooker clicker/sparker on the end of the firing chamber, a quick spray or 2 of any flammable gas in a can into a 1 the way valve on the firing chamber / those things would fire out of eyesight !.
My mates one would fire stuff around 'at least' 1km away !~ . true !, although it was a bit overkill for firing sinkers and bait, it would of emptied a spool in seconds :lol:

Cheers , Rick.
A huge alvey would have been ideal for that cannon you mention Rixter, some of the rock alveys hold 800 or 900 meters of 30 or 40 pound line !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:05 pm

I was thinking maybe something simple but I think they are illegal here called a "pocket rocket" slingshot.
It has a brace that goes on your wrist so you can get more leverage and better aim. The material is surgical tubing tied to the ends and in the centre it has a nice piece of thick flexible leather (originally for ball bearings - could easily really hurt someone).
Hmmm picturing boats, divers, wave run.... Oh I mean Large Snapper :icon_lolz:
Anyway I was thinking if the leather holder was big enough you could put the sinker and bait on it, have your rod set up at the correct angle with bail arm up and fire.
Well that's my story anyway :bounce:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 pm

FishnMiss wrote:I was thinking maybe something simple but I think they are illegal here called a "pocket rocket" slingshot.
It has a brace that goes on your wrist so you can get more leverage and better aim. The material is surgical tubing tied to the ends and in the centre it has a nice piece of thick flexible leather (originally for ball bearings - could easily really hurt someone).
Anyway I was thinking if the leather holder was big enough you could put the sinker and bait on it, have your rod set up at the correct angle with bail arm up and fire.
Pretty much like a berley caster, which have been banned for years around Victoria. The arm brace ones even more so. I've had both styles and had both of them taken off me by the police when fishing, that was going back about 15 years ago too ! .
They are still considered as a 'sling shot' weapon in Victoria.

It's lucky we can even 'legally' carry a fishing knife in a tackle box these days !, or can we ? :dontknow .

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

abzz

Post by abzz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Right conditions,right place..most good fish are in close ;)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 pm

abzz wrote:Right conditions,right place..most good fish are in close ;)
so true its funny how some people cast a mile from the only structure around that being what they are standing on :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am

rixter wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:I was thinking maybe something simple but I think they are illegal here called a "pocket rocket" slingshot.
Pretty much like a berley caster, which have been banned for years around Victoria. The arm brace ones even more so. I've had both styles and had both of them taken off me by the police when fishing, that was going back about 15 years ago too ! .

It's lucky we can even 'legally' carry a fishing knife in a tackle box these days !, or can we ? :dontknow .

Cheers , Rick.
It's funny how one can have a license and own a gun (or ten) yet can't own a slingshot. Haha.

ChuckH

Post by ChuckH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 pm

ducky wrote:
rixter wrote:

You can own one, you just need a prohibited weapons permit to own one,
This thread came up while I was doing a google about bait launchers/casters, I was thinking of trying to make one that’s only about 3-4 feet long with a small diameter launch tube of about an inch, I don’t want it to cast the entire length of a lake but just give me a slight advantage... there wouldn’t be anyone that already has made or purchased what I’m after?

PS! If you go to hammersurvival.com they sell along shitts and they’ve got testimonies from people in Australia, yes they may be fake, but one of the slingshots is only $39, worth a try

Cheers , Rick.
It's funny how one can have a license and own a gun (or ten) yet can't own a slingshot. Haha.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”