Building my own rod - my first attempt

dezza68

Re: Building my own rod - my first attempt

Post by dezza68 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Thats a good effort. I did mine with the absolute minimum of finese but it lasted me 20 years. Where can you buy decent carbon blanks from ?
Cast, catch and put it back

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Nice work for your first go FC and good luck with the epoxy job.

My rotisserie is powered by an old windscreen wiper motor and rod lathe is connected to a sewing machine motor (with foot pedal included). They were put together by my old man when I was a teenager and they're still running strong after nearly 20 years and hundreds of rods.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:09 pm

dezza68 wrote:Thats a good effort. I did mine with the absolute minimum of finese but it lasted me 20 years. Where can you buy decent carbon blanks from ?
If you want to buy from Australia, I would look at rodworks or motackle. However, mudhole in the US has a big range of quality blanks and generally end up cheaper than what you can get them for locally (even after postage).

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 pm

ncr1 wrote:
dezza68 wrote:Thats a good effort. I did mine with the absolute minimum of finese but it lasted me 20 years. Where can you buy decent carbon blanks from ?
If you want to buy from Australia, I would look at rodworks or motackle. However, mudhole in the US has a big range of quality blanks and generally end up cheaper than what you can get them for locally (even after postage).
I want to get my hands on the blank as Im pretty specific in what I want, plus I didnt recognise any of the brands on that US site. I want something thats 13 to 14ft that can cope with lobbing out 300gms and full casting 2000gms. The finished rods I have looked at here are all way too soft as Im trying to catch sharks off the rocks in deep water.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:01 pm

dezza68 wrote:
ncr1 wrote:
I want to get my hands on the blank as Im pretty specific in what I want, plus I didnt recognise any of the brands on that US site. I want something thats 13 to 14ft that can cope with lobbing out 300gms and full casting 2000gms. The finished rods I have looked at here are all way too soft as Im trying to catch sharks off the rocks in deep water.
I assume that's a typo and you meant full casting at 200gms, not 2kg??

That's certainly a tough brief to find the right blank. My feeling would be to look at the CTS S8 range of surf blanks, however you I'm not sure where you can 'try-before-you-buy'. But most tackle stores in Oz don't carry many (if any) rod blanks to look at, so you're going to find it pretty difficult to get a look at one first-hand. CTS is a New Zealand brand so you might have a better chance than some of the U.S. brands, but there are certainly no guarantees.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

dezza68 wrote:
ncr1 wrote:
Assuming that's a typo and you don't actually need to be able to cast a brick, the Kingfisher PSD5 would suit your needs with the heavy tip. You have to import them from South Africa though, unless the Surfcasting Federation have a couple for sale. I've got two of them, so if you want to try one out some time let me know. In the right hands (i.e. not mine) it can cast 200m plus.
http://www.bigcatch.co.za/shop/rods/rod ... 2pc-4-7oz/
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 am

4liters wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
ncr1 wrote:
Assuming that's a typo and you don't actually need to be able to cast a brick, the Kingfisher PSD5 would suit your needs with the heavy tip. You have to import them from South Africa though, unless the Surfcasting Federation have a couple for sale. I've got two of them, so if you want to try one out some time let me know. In the right hands (i.e. not mine) it can cast 200m plus.
http://www.bigcatch.co.za/shop/rods/rod ... 2pc-4-7oz/
Thanks for that! They look like what Im after. Im not worried about distance casting its more the ability to handle big baits and hopefully a big fish. :-D

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

I'm not very good at catching big fish so I can't comment on that, they've hauled in some pretty massive weed monsters for me though! They cost me about $300 each to bring over from SA, they might be a bit cheaper from the Surfcasting Federation if they have any but you'd have to check with them. I've got mine paired with 12 & 15 Penn Squalls which seem to go alright.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:57 am

By the way, this was completed a while ago. No sweat! :rofl:
Attachments
IMG_20151006_125530.JPG

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 pm

Great job! Have you used it yet?
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Rod building or repair”