Partner and I looking for a quiet spot

BrandonJTJ

Partner and I looking for a quiet spot

Post by BrandonJTJ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 pm

My partner just got into fishing and enjoys it, probably more then me sometimes but we get frustrated going places and catching nothing especially when we drive 1h 30m just to catch nothing and when theres 50 people on one pier. Were looking for a decent and quiet spot that can produce well preferably places like beaches or rocks. im not asking for any specific secret spots but even somewhere "near" a secret spot would be much appreciated and would be for me and my partner only, we hate fishing with others around, just gets frustrating sometimes and we like peace and quiet. And also any tips on rigs for rock fishing? Ive been a few times and love it but get snagged a fair bit, not sure if theres some sort of technique or if my rig is wrong usually I use a patternoster rig with a snapper sinker or bomb sinker. Ive hear of using just a gang hook with a whole pilly, tried it and snagged both casts without winding line in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :water:

johnnycjay
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Partner and I looking for a quiet spot

Post by johnnycjay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Any beach from Black Rock to Frankston will produce nice fish on it's day without anyone to be seen. You have to put in the effort to find them! Nobody can give you the inspiration to explore! Half the fun of catching something is the chase. Pick a beach, get fresh bait and see what bites. 90 minutes after low tide through to mid tide is best.

Also your tackle seems heavy for the likely catch. Beach rock fishing you are looking at Juvie Salmon, Whiting and Pinkie Snapper. No need for Ganged hooks just a whiting rig will be perfect.

Cheers and tight lines

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm

BrandonJTJ wrote:we get frustrated going places and catching nothing especially when we drive 1h 30m just to catch nothing and when theres 50 people on one pier. Were looking for a decent and quiet spot that can
I hate people too Brandon. Possibly check out google earth for potential areas close to home theres no secret spots anymore but the harder to access the more peaceful it will be for yourself and your partner.

BrandonJTJ

Post by BrandonJTJ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 pm

johnnycjay wrote:Any beach from Black Rock to Frankston will produce nice fish on it's day without anyone to be seen. You have to put in the effort to find them! Nobody can give you the inspiration to explore! Half the fun of catching something is the chase. Pick a beach, get fresh bait and see what bites. 90 minutes after low tide through to mid tide is best.

Also your tackle seems heavy for the likely catch. Beach rock fishing you are looking at Juvie Salmon, Whiting and Pinkie Snapper. No need for Ganged hooks just a whiting rig will be perfect.

Cheers and tight lines
Cheers bud for the past few weeks every saturday we've been going to piers and surf beaches out of melbourne all the way to Ocean grove/queenscliff all the way to frankston and even phillip island we caught a decent amount of squid in I think it was 2-3 hours down at a place in queenscliff but not the big pier everyone goes too and that paid off with squid decent size. Will give it a go and report back :a_goodjob:
Attachments
squid2.jpg
squid2.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
squid.jpg
squid.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

St helens carpark in geelong is massive and crowds dont realy matter, surf fishing off beaches along great ocean road, port melb around the Sandridge lookout bend is peaceful and can land some good fish out of there, fish in the maribyrenong river for bream, barwonheads from sheepwash rd, williamstown rocks next to the swimming and life saving club doing realy well on pan size pinkies atm. Plenty more places but its all hit and miss for every one of them. Could be dead quiet one day and packed the next and fish is always unpredictable wherever you go too, thats the fun though. Goodluck

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:22 am

Get yourself the AFL landbased guides for Port Phillip and Westernport, heaps of landbased spots to choose from there.

Give some of the beaches in westernport a go, not exactly secret spots but there's fish there and heaps of space to spread out so crowds shouldn't be an issue
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:44 am

The crowds are the reason I prefer a boat. But if I was to do anything, its what 4litres said

Gags23

Post by Gags23 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 am

Hey mate I go to Sandringham breakwall a bit nice and close to home and it's never choccas like some piers. Plenty of room down there. If you do a night sesh just watch out for bait theiving water rats little b*astards are sneaky :rofl:
:cheers:

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 am

Hey mate go to mount martha rocks just past mornington. If someone is there just walk along the rocks to another spots. I promise if you use pippies, pilchards (small cut up pieces) and squid you will not go home empty handed. Also try to find a spot with a big patch of sand that you can see in the water. There is always a decent leatherjacket around or pinkie. Sometimes even the big snapper will hit! Use size 6-8 baitholders and a sliding sinker rig.

Cheers i hope this helps! :water:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

Tongue Point is quiet and the scenery is excellent.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”