Landbased Options for Kids and Families

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
arabshark

Landbased Options for Kids and Families

Post by arabshark » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi Everyone,
Like many of you I'm counting the days until the weather warms up and I get a bit of time off work so I can hit the water again in search of fish on the end of my line. Previously I've taken the kids to local spots in my area (Ferntree Gully) like FTG Quarry and Rowville Lakes where the kids have been able to hook up a redfin or two.

I'm looking for suggestions around town where you're pretty much always guaranteed a fish (both freshwater and salt) and I don't mind if they're toadies or even carp either. I just want spots that have access to public toilets and aren't too treacherous. The idea is for the kids to get the fishing bug so they can fish with the old man.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, A.S.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Landbased Options for Kids and Families

Post by rb85 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 am

If you get the chance to go for a drive head down to the Gippsland lakes area for bream can catch plenty of small fish that will keep the kids entertained.

Close to Melbourne I'll leave that to those who frequently fish land based in those area's maybe somewhere like tooradin would be worth a try.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 am

St kilda n Brighton have toilets at start of pier.

St. Helens has toilets n a park for kids to play at while ya fish....

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 am

Unfortunately there are not many places that will guarantee a fish unless you really want to travel. I wouldn't bother with any of the piers as kids get easily bored and not a lot of room to really do anything. I ve taken my girls to a few spots around PPB and WP but we only got donuts...not the type that kids love...
Some nice kid friendly spots are
Kitty Millet bay in Phillip island. Lots of exploring around the rocks and some good fishing
Powellet River
Tooradin
Balnarring beach
Anderson's Inlet
Shallow Inlet
Mornington Peninsula PPB beaches.
Docklands
Patterson River/lakes

Not familiar with the northern side of PPB. I am sure there are some nice spots around Altona and Queenscliff area.

Just wait a little longer until the weather gets warmer and increase your chances in hooking something.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 am

Sorrento Pier is the one I'd always suggest to parents.
Toilet right next to the pier, loads of parking, fish on the lower pontoons, you'll always get leatheries and erase plus a whole host of other species. Fish straight down, don't bother casting out.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:01 pm

mate my pick would be Karkarook park is stocked with trout for school hoildays tons of free parking , public toilets plenty of room for the kids to run around when they get bored goggle earth it also has redfin,tench and carp and stocked trout are pretty easy to catch

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Sawtells inlet at tooradin is a good stop if your with children.. They have recently installed a few small landings and have toilets in carpark behind shops.. will catch something there so will keep them interested..
Powlett river is also very good but does not have toilets...can have probs with seaweed too..
Andersons inlet is very good..took my boy there(100mtres left of jetty) and he spent most of time looking for the juvy flathead in the shallows

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As you know with kids, they lack patience and get bored easily which is why I want to get them catching fish straight away.

Last year I took my nephew to Rowville Lakes. We first collect some live bait with a net, then on his first cast he caught a little redfin. Unfortunately the last few times I've been there nothing has been on the bite and the water quality was looking pretty poor.

Some great advice and locations there! I'll be sure to try them out one by one.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Give Don Lake in Healesville a try during the coming school holidays - good access and toilets.
When the better weather comes and the Yarra flow rate drops - your a good chance of a carp or two in most spots - access can be tricky at times and not a lot of public toilets unfortunately.
The Yarra through the city back up to Herring Island will produce Bream - there are public toilets along that stretch and good access......parking can be a pain though.

Good luck - hope the kids get a few

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm

emerald lake is one of the nicer family fishing lakes. other activities available too. puffing billy has a stop there

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”