Long time between fish on the river..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Long time between fish on the river..

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Long time between fish on the river today..
Only one more hill to cross..(Medium).JPG
Long walk to get to the river, this is the last of three hills before I get there 40 minutes later..
With the weather being much better than the past two days I took off for a late afternoon session on the river this afternoon to chase a few more wild brown trout. Once there I could see it was running much higher than I had thought it would be, probably due to the 30 plus mms of rain that had fallen up here. Still I'm wasn't going to waste the drive up there so I hopped in where I could and flicked the little gold #00 Aglia around and picked up a nice medium size (290grams) brown after ten minutes. That fish was lured out of a small piece of flat water close to the opposite river bank. I did have a hit and miss not all that long after catching and releasing that brown which had me thinking I may just be in for another good session.
Good flow after rains.. (Medium).JPG
Good flow here today..
Gold Aglia catches the first wild brown of the day. (Medium).JPG
First trout of the session..
Trout taken from flat water close to river bank..(Medium).JPG
First brown taken from flat water close to river bank..
IMG_4647 (Medium).JPG
Had a hit & miss in the stretch of river..

It was very quiet from then on, it took another forty five minutes before I hooked another brown and had it in the landing net. This was a better size brown (490 grams) and a beautifully coloured trout it was. That brown was taken on the little Daiwa ghost brown which I had changed over to some twenty minutes earlier. The thought of it being a good session had quickly been removed from my mind, I now knew it was going to be a tough couple of hours in the river. Thirty five minutes after the release of the last brown I had another solid fish take the ghost brown lure. This trout was close to the same size and looked almost identical to that last fish caught..
Trout lured out from shaded area, from under over hanging bushes.(Medium).JPG
Lured a trout out of the shaded area near overhanging tea tree..
Another beautifully coloured wild brown trout. (Medium).JPG
Solid brown that was lured out from shaded area..
Looking down on where I'll soon be fishing.(Medium).JPG
The last trout was taken here..
Wild brown trout. (Medium).JPG
Third & last trout caught & released..
Over the next forty minutes a cold wind had picked up and was very gusty, all I managed was one smash and grab from a fish that missed getting hooked. There were quite a few sections of river that I had to bypass today due to the water level being too high and fast flowing. That cold gusty wind was starting to get to me and with the trout being so few and far between I knew it was time to head for home just on 4:45 pm. I reckon the river level was up by some 15 cms ( 6 inches) to what it was on my last trip here which doesn't seem much, but in a small river it's a lot that I can assure you.. With more rain forecast over the following few days, it looks like I'll be resting up for a while until it all settles down again.. let's hope that's not at too far away either..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Hammy Y

Re: Long time between fish on the river..

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Great report mate and some good fish! Keen for the next one

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Hammy Y wrote:Great report mate and some good fish! Keen for the next one
Thanks Hammy, me too once the weather settles down.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:49 pm

After all that walking you deserved a better outcome. Looking at the head sizes on the three trout the first one would seem to be probably a year younger than the other two. Great looking Browns as usual.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:56 am

Paulanderson wrote:After all that walking you deserved a better outcome. Looking at the head sizes on the three trout the first one would seem to be probably a year younger than the other two. Great looking Browns as usual.
Thanks Paul, the walk does me good and yes I thought I deserved a few more trout too.. :-D :-D

The trout in the top photo was probably a year younger as you suggested.. I'll catch it again next season when he's bigger.. :fish22:

I'd like to fin clip them.but it's illegal to do so.. and seeing as I do trout & river reports etc for the IFS I don't think I should either... ;-)

cheers
Adrian

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 am

Nice report as usual adrian,
why dont you then tag the fish mate?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

Great report and pics as always mate. Enjoyed the read :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:57 pm

purple5ive wrote:Nice report as usual adrian,
why dont you then tag the fish mate?
Thanks P5 & Lx, tagging the trout, well that's illegal too unless authorized by IFS... :)
cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”