New Boat - Suggestions

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

New Boat - Suggestions

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Fisho's, the old man and I are looking to purchase a new boat after this summer run. Currently we have a Brooker 525 discovery centre console which is great in many aspects but lacks some creature comforts and is somewhat restricted in where we can take it.

We have only been boating for 2 years now so our experience in different boats is pretty limited. I'll be doing a lot of research on whats out there but I'd love to hear some of your thoughts / suggestions on what might suit our requirements. I'm sure there are some makes out there that I have never heard off and are just as good as some of the more popular boats like the HH's.

A rundown on what we wan't out of the boat:
  • budget / 25-50k
    larger fishing space than what we currently have
    5.5m - 7m
    comfortable for trips across the bay, I.e Frankston to St Leonards
    comfortable doing some offshore work
    preferably 4 stroke motor
    predominantly a boat that's great to fish out of but is also comfortable for the old man/wife when they want some down time
    I wan't to take my little boy out with us when he is ready (1 at the moment) so something that he will be comfortable in
    safe and reliable
    good, sturdy hull, happy to add "fishing" modifications but don't really want to be fixing boat/motor issues
We aren't to concerned about fibreglass or plate but from the searching i've done it seems that I am probably looking somewhere in the 2000-2010 year. Not sure if the plate boats of that era are what they are today? At the moment towing from a Lexus RX350 with a possibility of a new Ranger/Amarok by the time this comes about.

To sum it all up the main goal is to find a boat that is more comfortable to fish from, suitable for the family, reliable and well built. Price wise we wan't to spend as little as possible but not to the point where we get a boat that we aren't confident in. The only reason I have put 25k as a start is to not discount any boats that may be just as good as the ones in higher range.

I like the look of the Cruise Craft 575 Explorers (2003-2009) and they seem to tick all the boxes. I've also looked at the Whitley Sea Legend's which seem nice but generally not in as good nick. The Haines Hunters that I sat in at the boat show (new boats) weren't to comfortable in the skippers seat as I am fairly tall/broad shoulders and I found I felt a bit cramped in.

I'd love to know what I am looking for so that we can snap up any bargains that come up over the next 4-6 months.

Thank's Gents.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: New Boat - Suggestions

Post by bowl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 pm

One with plenty cabin space or harp top.
Toilet be a bonus lol

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 pm

bowl wrote:One with plenty cabin space or harp top.
Toilet be a bonus lol
haha Have already flaunted the toilet as one of the "perks" to the powers to be.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd be on the lookout for something in the 5.7-6m range for sure at that price.

In terms of Aly, unless its extreme, stabicraft, Surtees or Mcclay I wouldn't bother. They are tough to find second hand so depends on how hard you look.

Fibreglass you should be able to pick up a cruise craft or Haines. Don't be afraid of lots of engine hours, especially if the boat has been well looked after

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 pm

scott__henning wrote:I'd be on the lookout for something in the 5.7-6m range for sure at that price.

In terms of Aly, unless its extreme, stabicraft, Surtees or Mcclay I wouldn't bother. They are tough to find second hand so depends on how hard you look.

Fibreglass you should be able to pick up a cruise craft or Haines. Don't be afraid of lots of engine hours, especially if the boat has been well looked after
Cheers mate. The only plate boats i've seen pop up in that price range are the original BC's and a couple of Stabicrafts.

For some reason I haven't bothered to look at any Haines yet...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Lots of options I think you need to narrow down your selection a bit more.

What can you tow and store? Do you have a lowish shed door height?

How many hrs do you intend to do a year?

Don't forget to closely inspect the trailer, they are expensive to replace and the most overlooked item when buying boats.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:24 am

Taking suggestions on the Utes? Stay away from the Amarok

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

Start a list of what you want....make sure an anchor winch is at the top of the list.
Kids love a cabin for a snooze or to watch something on the iPad when they inevitably get bored.
Toilet would be great if someone else has to clean it.
Kiwis make great alloy boats.

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks guys - have a pretty good idea of what we want out of the boat... just not sure what are good makes.

Some of the Cruise Craft's look the goods

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for- ... ss=Premium

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for- ... ss=Premium

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Based on those boats you must have plenty of storage space and height.

Cruise Crafts make decent boats but like the haines hunter they have a price premium beyond there value IMO. Just be aware that cruise crafts were called bruise crafts for good reason they are not know for being the best riding hulls.

I would also look at haines signature.

I am very fond of the whittley SL22. The new volvo motor setup is brilliant and the value for money is excellent.

Return to “Boating”