New Boat - Suggestions

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: New Boat - Suggestions

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 am

smile0784 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Based on those boats you must have plenty of storage space and height.

Cruise Crafts make decent boats but like the haines hunter they have a price premium beyond there value IMO. Just be aware that cruise crafts were called bruise crafts for good reason they are not know for being the best riding hulls.

I would also look at haines signature.

I am very fond of the whittley SL22. The new volvo motor setup is brilliant and the value for money is excellent.
Thanks mate. We will be putting a gate in the fence and storing it in the yard. Height won't be an issue which is good.

I've done a bit of research on them and haven't read bad comments yet...... which is why I'm asking here!

Any other suggestion's on lower cost hull's of the same vintage that might ride just as well?

Also will you have enough turning room for backing in?
Yeah turning room won't be a problem as it's more of a pull up and reverse with a slight kink in the line (if that makes sense)... as opposed to pull up and spin the trailer around into the driveway.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:10 am

with the 2 stroke motors, if your planning on doing big trips, like offshore, or carrum to altona etc etc, make sure you have a decent sized fuel tank cause the $$$ will add up.
the evinrudes, TLDI and optimax being an exception.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 am

purple5ive wrote:with the 2 stroke motors, if your planning on doing big trips, like offshore, or carrum to altona etc etc, make sure you have a decent sized fuel tank cause the $$$ will add up.
A boat that size should hold 200+ liters. Plenty for shootiing across the bay

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:06 am

yepi'mon wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Based on those boats you must have plenty of storage space and height.

Cruise Crafts make decent boats but like the haines hunter they have a price premium beyond there value IMO. Just be aware that cruise crafts were called bruise crafts for good reason they are not know for being the best riding hulls.

I would also look at haines signature.

I am very fond of the whittley SL22. The new volvo motor setup is brilliant and the value for money is excellent.
Thanks mate. We will be putting a gate in the fence and storing it in the yard. Height won't be an issue which is good.

I've done a bit of research on them and haven't read bad comments yet...... which is why I'm asking here!

Any other suggestion's on lower cost hull's of the same vintage that might ride just as well?

Also will you have enough turning room for backing in?
Yeah turning room won't be a problem as it's more of a pull up and reverse with a slight kink in the line (if that makes sense)... as opposed to pull up and spin the trailer around into the driveway.

Easy done then

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am

Thinking of heading down to somewhere like JV Marine in Braeside to have a look. Can anyone recommend a dealer that has a good range of second hand boats on the East side of Melbourne?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am

yepi'mon wrote:I'd also be happy with a 2 stroke - but as long as it was in the lower end of the budget. Just not sure how well 2 strokes will re-sell in 3-4 years.
Have you considered buying new and keeping it long term?...You should be able to get something in the 5+mt range for your budget (you can add the expensive accessories later). You'll get exactly what you want, full warranties and best of all you'll know that it hasn't been abused by a previous owner. Having small children meant safety and reliability was paramount when deciding what boat I chose.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:06 am

yepi'mon wrote:Thinking of heading down to somewhere like JV Marine in Braeside to have a look. Can anyone recommend a dealer that has a good range of second hand boats on the East side of Melbourne?
There is a big boat place in trafelgar i think it there. Its on the way to bermagui somewhere before bairnsdale.
Has new and second hand. Lots of boat in the yard

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:13 am

smile0784 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:Thinking of heading down to somewhere like JV Marine in Braeside to have a look. Can anyone recommend a dealer that has a good range of second hand boats on the East side of Melbourne?
There is a big boat place in trafelgar i think it there. Its on the way to bermagui somewhere before bairnsdale.
Has new and second hand. Lots of boat in the yard
http://www.gippslandboatsupplies.com.au/

bit of a drive though, im sure he wanted somewhere close haha

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 am

Mattblack wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:I'd also be happy with a 2 stroke - but as long as it was in the lower end of the budget. Just not sure how well 2 strokes will re-sell in 3-4 years.
Have you considered buying new and keeping it long term?...You should be able to get something in the 5+mt range for your budget (you can add the expensive accessories later). You'll get exactly what you want, full warranties and best of all you'll know that it hasn't been abused by a previous owner. Having small children meant safety and reliability was paramount when deciding what boat I chose.
Have considered it and I guess as we work out exactly what we want we will weigh the option up. I guess we are starting here because every boat we saw at the boat show that fitted the bill was a 100k + buy.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:21 am

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:with the 2 stroke motors, if your planning on doing big trips, like offshore, or carrum to altona etc etc, make sure you have a decent sized fuel tank cause the $$$ will add up.
A boat that size should hold 200+ liters. Plenty for shootiing across the bay
meant more so as a $$ for fuel perspective.. lot more cheaper on fuel costs to have a 4 stroke on a big boat

Return to “Boating”