Newhaven jetty during day

Straya

Newhaven jetty during day

Post by Straya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:42 am

Gday ladies and gents, long time forum reader first time poster.

Currently staying at San Remo until tomorrow night, been fishing San Remo pier and surrounds with not much luck. Going to flick some squid jigs around the pier this evening.

But for today, i'm going to drive out to Newhaven jetty. I have a half decent arsenal of lures, sinkers, hooks, jig heads, plastics etc and a few rodneys to use. I also have some whole squid i'm going to cut into chunks and pilchard heads. What's my best bet for Newhaven jetty? Not fussed on what i catch, as i catch and release.

Thank you in advance.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Newhaven jetty during day

Post by Mattblack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 am

Silverleaves beach on a high tide can be good for flatties....if you're feeling extravagant, go hire a boat from Ryhll, you can get snapper/gummies etc not far from the ramp.

Straya

Post by Straya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:10 am

Damn, tide will have / be changing right now as low tide was about 9am. Any productivity dumping a heavy sinker with some squid off the end of the jetty? Or pilchard heads even?

I love using heavy jig heads and soft plastics but i'm guessing that won't have much success off the jetty or beach?

I'd love to hire a boat but i'm not the most experienced boater so i wouldn't risk it by myself. But good to know you can hire them there for when i come down with my old man

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 am

Cowes pier at night can be productive.....and the hireboats off Rhyll are pretty safe even though they dont look it. There is also punchbowl, just watch for the the rogue waves and snakes on the track.

Straya

Post by Straya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah i scoped out Punchbowl, looked pretty dicey so i avoided it as i am here by myself.

I guess i can just rig up 3 rods with 3 different set ups and mix it up and see what becomes of it. Hopefully being Sunday, this evening is a little quieter around the San Remo pier for squid. I need ONE squid before i head home tomorrow hahaha.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 pm

The tide runs pretty hard past the jetty, so you'll be limited to around an hours each side of the change.

I'd suggest fishing the incoming at the far left corner (looking over towards San Remo). That's a prime spot (and usually hard to get!)

If you cast out to the left, about 50m at a 45 degree angle that's a good spot for pinkies.

You can also try the middle of the walkway onto the main jetty. If you berley up you can catch mullet and trevally.

Pike are a possibility at night too.

Mike.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Agree with mingle tide runs hard and the weed build up will drive you nuts.

I was down that way earlier in the week and the salmon were biting of the beach on the newhaven side adjacent to caravan park. Managed a nice feisty 56cm model on high tide. Needs to be high tide as it gets shallow/ comes out of the water

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Worth the drive up to cowes mate.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I spent the weekend at San Remo/Phillip Island. San Remo is a great little spot but you only have an 1hr-1 1/2hrs during tide changes. Caught a nice little pinky there and had constant bites. This morning I had something big biting and doing a massive run before my line snapped.
Newhaven gives you a bigger window before tide becomes unfishable.
Spent a few hours last night at Cowes. It gets really crowded especially on the weekends. Only caught one squid but some people did really well. Lots of yakkas there. Fish the start of the pier for squid/yakkas. If you get lucky and get a spot at the end, try the right side as middle/left is very snaggy (lost about 7 rigs...)
Good luck

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 am

Kosta7 wrote:I spent the weekend at San Remo/Phillip Island. San Remo is a great little spot but you only have an 1hr-1 1/2hrs during tide changes. Caught a nice little pinky there and had constant bites. This morning I had something big biting and doing a massive run before my line snapped.
Newhaven gives you a bigger window before tide becomes unfishable.
Spent a few hours last night at Cowes. It gets really crowded especially on the weekends. Only caught one squid but some people did really well. Lots of yakkas there. Fish the start of the pier for squid/yakkas. If you get lucky and get a spot at the end, try the right side as middle/left is very snaggy (lost about 7 rigs...)
Good luck
What's your method for catching Yakkas? I've always wanted to catch some for snapper and gummy bait when I'm out on the boat but have no clue how.

Cheers

Return to “Phillip Island”