Fishing Limeburners Lagoon in Geelong

Sarge1957

Fishing Limeburners Lagoon in Geelong

Post by Sarge1957 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey guys, I have heard a lot about fishing at the Limeburners Lagoon (Grammar School Lagoon), but have never tried there. Can anybody who has please give me some info? Is it dependant on tides, being estuary/lagoon, or is any time ok? Where is the best spot to go?
I am thinking of heading out for a look maybe tonight or tomorrow sometime depending on the response from fellow fishos. I live in Hoppers Crossing so it is a nice close place to try if the reports are good.
Please help.
Russ

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Fishing Limeburners Lagoon in Geelong

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm

There are two reports of Kingfish being caught from there using pilchards in the last 2 weeks. Look for the Geoff Wilson reports. Lets us know how you go, sounds like it could be fun
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Sarge1957

Post by Sarge1957 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks mate, a kingi is great fun - and a good BBQ addition. I will let you know what happens. Do tides matter there or is it all round?

Breamdude

Post by Breamdude » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm

My advice don't fish it when there is a SSE wind over 9 knots to much weed and be careful of your car. Geelong police have had 20 plus reports of cars being broken into at the boat ramp and at the GGS little beach.
I don’t exaggerate…I just remember BIG !!!

Caviar

Post by Caviar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Limeburners Lagoon and Limeburners boatramp/rock wall where the kings were caught are two different places at opposite ends of our bay

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:There are two reports of Kingfish being caught from there using pilchards in the last 2 weeks. Look for the Geoff Wilson reports. Lets us know how you go, sounds like it could be fun
The Kingfish weren't caught in Limeburners Lagoon. They were caught on the opposite of the bay at Limeburners boat ramp. The lagoon fishes well for flatties whiting salmon snaps. Bit hard to fish landbased because the shore is quite shallow and the only pier you could fish off got destroyed and not replaced. Waders required.

Sarge1957

Post by Sarge1957 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the worthwhile replies. Sounds like the Lagoon will not be a go for me then this weekend. Are there any other good spots around Geelong for a ferw hours of land based fun?
Russ

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm

people spear fish their grammer school n get good catches
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Turtle wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote:There are two reports of Kingfish being caught from there using pilchards in the last 2 weeks. Look for the Geoff Wilson reports. Lets us know how you go, sounds like it could be fun
The Kingfish weren't caught in Limeburners Lagoon. They were caught on the opposite of the bay at Limeburners boat ramp. The lagoon fishes well for flatties whiting salmon snaps. Bit hard to fish landbased because the shore is quite shallow and the only pier you could fish off got destroyed and not replaced. Waders required.
Thanks for clearing that up Turtle i don't fish over in the west just read the report the other week and the name stuck in my head. Just had a look on Google and the distance from the lagoon to the boat ramp (if that's the one on Limeburners Road) says that its only 20min 16 or so km. If the lagoon is out because idiots burn it down then the boat ramp/rock wall shouldn't be a bad option not to far.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:43 am

Sarge1957 wrote:Thanks for the worthwhile replies. Sounds like the Lagoon will not be a go for me then this weekend. Are there any other good spots around Geelong for a ferw hours of land based fun?
Russ
heaps of spots around Geelong where you intend to fish .Just further down you have St Helens plenty of room to fish or as they said in Limeburner boat rump breakwall a bit further down also just follow limeburner road and you wont miss it. Good luck

rogs

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”