Rain gives a little trout stream a much needed lift..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Rain gives a little trout stream a much needed lift..

Post by meppstas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Rain gives a little trout stream a much needed lift....

I thought I would a small stream above Weegena (upper Mersey area) today seeing that we had some reasonable rain a couple of days ago. If we hadn't had the rain I wouldn't be going near this stream as it gets too low at this time of year but with the rain we've had then it's always worth a try. I had quite a long walk before I was finally at the stream saw it had a nice flow with a dark tannin colour like black coffee. I went for the little gold Aglia spinner seeing the water was so dark because I felt the gold will suck a few trout in. The first few casts did get a few trout interested as I watched the bow wave appear behind the spinner as I retrieved it back downstream. That's as far as it went though, the trout didn't touch the lure. I stuck with the spinner for another ten minutes while still having the odd follow here and there before I changed to a ghost brown hard body lure.
IMG_5147 (Medium).JPG
Good flow once again.. very dark coffee colour..
As it happened the ghost brown lure was even worse than the gold Aglia because I couldn't even get a follow from a trout on it after twenty minutes, so I changed to a F3 gold/black Rapala. It wasn't long before I had a bow wave appear behind this lure and had a quick hard hit but missed it. I kept fishing with this lure for another thirty minutes for just one more hard hit and miss before I decided to go back to the gold Aglia. I wasn't convinced that this little lure wasn't all that bad it was the trout that was the problem, they just weren't in an aggressive mood yet which surprised me.. Now the air has warmed up a to what it was when I hit the water at 6:50 am I reckon the gold Aglia will pick up a few fish from now on. With the air being warmer it's bought quite a few insects out and this should get the trout on the go. There were hundreds of caddis moths out and about now and I noticed trout on the rise a few times as well as one or two small fish leaping from the river trying to snatch caddis moths that was hovering just above the water. I flicked the spinner into a short fast water run and had a take from a small brown on the second cast, it tossed the spinner soon after it was hooked. So after an hour and a half of fishing and finally having my first hook up I lost it as quick as it took the spinner.
IMG_5156 (Medium).JPG
Brown caught here..
IMG_5151 (Small).JPG
First brown only a little one..
I know the trout are here so it was now just a matter of time before I had one in the net. I can't recall it taking me this long to catch a trout either, so the sooner I pick one up the better it will be. I moved into the next small fast water and had an instant take, this nice little brown made it to the net. Even though it was a little brown it was a score on the board and that's what mattered most. It was all go from here on as most of the stretches of water I fished over the next hour and a half gave up trout. By the time I reached the area I was to exit the river and head back to the car I had caught and released another thirteen browns of various sizes from 320 grams up to 460 grams. The good thing was I never lost a single fish either, every trout that took the spinner stayed on all the way into the net. These trout were all in great condition and were all beautifully coloured fish. The decision to go back to the little Mepps gold #00 Aglia was certainly a good one after all. That rain certainly gave this little stream a much needed lift too..
IMG_5159 (Medium).JPG
Nice brown lured from under overhanging tea tree..
IMG_5157 (Medium).JPG
Trout that was lured from under tea tree..
IMG_5160 (Medium).JPG
Another brown picked up here..
IMG_5163 (Medium).JPG
Solid wild brown trout..
IMG_5171 (Medium).JPG
And another well conditioned brown..
IMG_5176 (Medium).JPG
Brown caught here..
IMG_5175 (Medium).JPG
Trout number 14, last one of the session..
cheers
Adrian..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Re: Rain gives a little trout stream a much needed lift..

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:45 pm

I love the look of browns from real dark water. Good work Adrian!

Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Good report

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:37 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Nice report and pics as always :thumbsup:

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 pm

I think you are getting more than enough rain this weekend Adrian! some very pretty fish and by the size of a couple of the heads some of them have been around for a few years Great catch and great pics!

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Great pictures mate. Good to see!
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 am

Paulanderson wrote:I think you are getting more than enough rain this weekend Adrian! some very pretty fish and by the size of a couple of the heads some of them have been around for a few years Great catch and great pics!
Thanks guys..
There's something about fishing the little out of the way streams isn't there, they hold some nice fish and quite often decent size ones at that..
They're always beautifully coloured well conditioned fish as well, and yes Paul I reckon a few of them have been around for quite a few years in this little stream..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”