Twelve browns caught & released...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Twelve browns caught & released...

Post by meppstas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 am

Twelve browns caught & released today..

With cloud moving in making conditions quite humid I decided to head on over to the Meander River for an afternoon session. The river was running some 4-6 inches higher than my last trip here which was back on Tuesday 28th November and it was little discoloured too. By the time I had walked 1.5 kms to the river it was 3:30 pm when I had my first cast with the little #00 gold Aglia into a long wide medium stretch of river. There was a reasonably strong North Easterly breeze blowing from behind me so I was getting good distance with the light weight spinner, I was reaching the opposite side of the river with ease. I used the cast and drift method and had my first take within three minutes, it was a nice solid 460 gram brown. After it making several runs and leaps I slowly led it into the net, once in it out popped the spinner. Two minutes later I had my second brown on and soon in the net, another solid well conditioned fish much like the first one. The same thing happened when this brown was in the net, the lure fell out of its mouth as soon as it was in the net. Not that I mind as it save me from handling the fish to remove the spinner, plus there's less stress on fish as well.
Meander River.. (Medium).JPG
River running on the high side...
IMG_5266 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
IMG_5269 (Medium).JPG
Another solid brown..
I had moved onto a small fast water run that had a nice little section of flat water to the right, one flick of the spinner to the top end and a quick retrieve I sucked another plump trout into taking the gold Aglia making it three fish in fifteen minutes. After that fish the following couple of stretches of river all I could manage was two hook ups with both fish tossing the spinner. Another wide medium flowing run of water was the next one I fished and it wasn't until I was half way into it when I hooked and lost a small brown. With three trout caught from six hook ups wasn't good enough in my books at all. I checked the treble hook on the spinner and it was fine, a little worse for wear but still no reason to change it. I had now reached the headwater of this stretch of river and it was here I picked up another brown, just a little 290 gram fish. There was a split in the river so I decided I would work the narrow run on my left as I've caught the odd trout in it before. I didn't have a touch until I had reached the top end where the main river spilled into it and that's where I picked up another solid brown that went 520 grams.
Best trout taken in the side water run, Meander River.. (Medium).JPG
520 gm brown taken here..
IMG_5273 (Medium).JPG
Best of the day, 520 grams of pure muscle..
Brown taken in this flat water, Meander River.. (Medium).JPG
Brown picked up in the flat water near river bank..
IMG_5270 (Medium).JPG
Plump brown..
From here on the fishing was slow going as I worked my way upstream in a deepish flowing stretch of river. It was starting to tire me out pushing against the stronger flow and deeper water today, much harder work than on previous trips. I did catch a fish here and there as I carried on fishing my way up the river. After catching another seven browns all up making it an even dozen, that's when I decided to call it a day at 6:20 pm. Trout number twelve was taken from a small flat water on the opposite side of the river some fifty feet away. I was about to get out of the river when I decided to have a shot at lobbing the 1.5 gram spinner into that flat water as I felt it was worth doing and it was after all.
Flat water near river bank that gave up trout no. 12, Meander River, (Medium).JPG
Flat water near the river bank that gave up number 12..
IMG_5275 (Medium).JPG
Last trout of the session..
Cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

ratbag

Re: Twelve browns caught & released...

Post by ratbag » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

Another great session Adrian, I can never get enough of your reports & pics to enjoy reading them with my morning coffee. Some better size trout on this trip.

have a merry christmas & tight lines for 2018! :cheers:
quid est quod eum

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:10 am

Great report and pics as always.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year and all the best for 2018! :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks guys, plenty more reports to come.. "Merry Christmas & a safe New Year" to you as well.. take care over the holiday break too. :thumbsup:
Koala Christmas.jpg
"MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL"
cheers
Adrian..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Merry Christmas mate and thanks for the report!

Cheers, Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Weĺl done mate

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Back to your best mate :thumbsup: Always an enjoyable read with great pics Merry Xmas and hope you have a great New Year I know the trout in your area wont ;-)

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Another top report :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks guys, just did a quick tally on the trout caught & release so far this season..." 379 " which I'm reasonably happy with
as I'm now 74 up on last year, well to the 22-12-17, doubt I'll be fishing over the next few days at this stage due to very strong gusty winds..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”